Chapter 94: One More Week

Zayn parked the car and I rushed out. He yelled after me "Emma! Emma! Wait!" I run up the eternal stairs and to my my baby. I stop at the window and watch her breathe. I start breaking down. First trying to collect my breath but I started breathing to fast. I clench my chest and close my eyes. Then I slide down the window and break down. Zayn rushes to me, holding me in his arms "Emma, Emma love." He holds me tight and clenches onto me. He sighs "Emma, we still have four more hearing. One month to dig deep and win the case. By then Danielle will be living with us and prove we CAN be the best of parents." I cry "Zayn, I don't want to lose her." he replies "and we won't"

Later that day, Natalie called me and everyone was digging dirt on Yegor and Klavdiya. Since they invaded my privacy, we could do the same and so far they have six leads. Now all I needed to worry about is getting better for my daughters sake.

It has been two weeks since the court hearing and going to therapy constantly. I won't talk about Luke or Stacy but everything else I've been approving. I've been seeing Mason daily, connecting through the book. I just need another week till I can get my daughter and take her home.

Today I walked to the garden and Mason was waiting at our usually hang out, under the tree. I laugh "Mason! Never late." He chuckles, standing up "you wanna go someplace else, a walk around the block?" I grin "yeah sure, I just need to get back in time." We walk together, stressing over the fatal ending. I groan "but why did she have to die! I mean, she had to die like that?" he chuckles "she died a hero Em's." I stop walking and sigh "life is so screwed up. I mean look at us. depression and our kids in threat of danger." He sighs and smiles "sometimes life can be brighten by someone. Someone who we share a lot in common with." I chuckle and look up to him "oh you have an eyelash on your nose." I reach in to take it away but suddenly his lips were on mine. His lips were so addicting but I pulled away immediately "Mason!?" he stresses "Emma! I've fallen in love with you!" i frown, backing away from him "Mason, you have a wife! I have a boyfriend." He sighs, looking away "I know but I don't love her. She doesn't understand me! but you do." I back away more "I'm sorry Mason. I don't think we could see each other. I'm sorry but I love my boyfriend and my daughter." I turn away and run back to the hospital.

What is going on? We've never flirted. Mason never showed any affection for me. I didn't want to break his heart but Mason is a good guy with a wife and a son.

I storm into John's room "John! He kissed me! he said he loved me!" his face became pale "Emma, what did you say back?" I scoff "that it wasn't reciprocal." He stood up fast, grabbing his coat and taking me with him "Mason suffers major depression Em's. he could take his life if he feels unworthy." I gasp "I had no idea!... Wait! Could I drive him to commit suicide?!" he sighs, turning down the hall "I hope not." He storms into a room and freezes "Mason? You're okay?" I stand in shock, looking at Gregory and his wife. John laughs "I really need that book back." He stands up and hands it to him. he looks at me briefly and turns back. John drags me out of the room "I'm afraid Em's. he could tick any second." I closed my eyes "do you understand now. Anyone who gets close to me ends up getting hurt." He gives me a pity look and we walk back to his office.