Baby Baby

'No more morning sickness. Thank you, God. I couldn't keep doing it anymore. That and feeling fat all the time. My mom thinks it's cute, but I can't stand it.' I thought when my mind started waking up. I rolled over on to my side carefully. 'Do I have an appointment today. I can't remember. Geez, this kid is sucking the memory out of me. Just a few more months. I can do it.'  I rolled over on to my other side. Feeling defeated, I decided to get up for the day. I slowly got up, trying not to wake up my husband and went into the bathroom. I quickly took a shower. After I brushed my teeth, I looked myself over in the mirror. "God, look at me." I said to myself. I quickly got dressed and headed to the kitchen for breakfast. I made some toast and had  a cup of orange juice. "Good morning, baby." Jeremy said, entering the kitchen. "Good morning." I replied, giving him a kiss. "How did you sleep? I didn't wake you up, did I?  I've been trying hard not to wake you!" I went on. "Baby, you're fine. Trust me. Did you sleep ok?" He asked. "For the most part." "Will you be ok for the babyshower today?" "That's today?! I forgot." I said shyly. "You've been planning for this since you found you were pregnant. You wanted everything to be perfect." Jeremy said, making me feel a little guilty that I would forget my own child's babyshower. "I forgot. Don't be upset with me, please?" I pleaded. I was caught off guard by my own tears. 'Why am I crying? This is ridiculous.' I thought to myself. "No no, baby. I didn't mean to make you cry. I'm sorry. Don't  be mad at me. I'm sorry. Come here." Jeremy said, giving me a hug. There was a gap in between us. "Please, stop crying. I know you forgot. It's just that you put in so much work, I didn't want it to go to waste." He explained, kissing and rubbing my hair. "I don't know why I'm crying either. Its just the baby is sucking everything out of me." I whispered. "You're doing great, baby. I'm here for you." "Thank you and I'm sorry if I'm a being like this." "It's okay. Let's get ready. We don't want to keep everyone waiting." "Ok." I went back to the room to change. I slipped on an off the shoulders cream colored dress with a clear rhinestone in the valley of the dress (I couldn't find the right picture of the dress). I curled my hair slightly. "Baby, can you help with my shoes? I can't bend over anymore." He helped me put them on. "Ok, baby. Are you ready to leave?" "Yea. Do we have everything?" "I have everything taken care of. The only thing missing is the baby." He said, taking my hand and leading me to the car. The baby shower was being held at an upscale Italian restaurant that I adore. Their espressos are the best in town. I asked them to make an espresso cake just for the party and they were happy to do so.

When we arrived at the restaurant the parking lot was packed and a large banner had our names on it with some pink and blue balloons. The lounge in which they set up was a sun room sorta place. The first thing I noticed was the cake. It was large and rectangular with white and brown icing. There was a little plastic baby bottle and rattle set on top. Bundles of pink and blue balloons were set everywhere. A pile of presents sat on a nearby table. Family and friends greeted us when we walked in. The sudden greetings made me squeeze Jeremy's hand tighter. "Ooh, look at you!! You look so good. You're glowing. How are you feeling?" A friend of mine asked. "I'm hanging in there. Just mostly, sleepless nights and weird cravings. The cake looks real good right now." I answered. "Well, you look good. Do you know if it's a boy or a girl?" "No. I find out tomorrow. I can't wait." I said, excitedly. "What do you hope for?" She asked. "It doesn't really matter to me. I just want them to come, so I go back to things because these restless nights are tough." " Baby, I want you to take a seat at the front table, so we can get this thing started." Jeremy whispered in my ear. "Ok." I replied, hiking up my dress and making my way to the front table. After a while, the party got under way. everyone was having a good time talking and catching up with each other. I was talking to another friend of mine when I felt a tap on shoulder. I turn to see my friend and she looked a little concerned. "What's wrong?" I asked. "I don't want to cause any trouble, but I think your husband is flirting with another lady." She said, pointing across the room to Jeremy, who was getting a little too 'friendly' with a former co-star. The blond seemed to be trying to hard.; laughing at everything he said while playful hitting him on the arm. I was used to seeing other females flirtting with him, but in the end he would nicely push them away and come back to me. Whatever reason I had for being a little suspicious of her led me to think that this party will not be the last time I see her fake face. "When are you going to open the presents? I want to see your face when you see mine!!" My friend asked, breaking my train of thought. "Huh? Yea, we can open them now." I replied. "Guys, We're opening gifts now!!" She screamed over the crowds of people. 'At least this will get Jeremy away from her.'  I thought. "You ready?" Jeremy asked, coming up from behind. "Oh yea. who was that you were talking to?" "Oh. An old friend of mine." He responded. "...right." For the rest of the party, I opened the gifts while the guest commented on just about everything I opened. What I got mostly were clothes, diapers, a car seat, and other baby necessities.

I woke up in an empty bed the next morning. "What the hell?" I asked. I frantically got and searched the bathroom. Nothing. My heart sunk at the thought of where he could be. Before the tears came, I smelled the faint scent of cigarette smoke. I poked my head out of the window to see Jeremy sitting on the front steps with a cigarette hanging out his mouth. I went into the bathroom and grabbed a bucket of cold water and brought it back to the window. Dumping it out, a very angry and wet Jeremy looked up at the window. "I said no more smoking. That's what you get!!" I shouted down at him before bringing my head back inside. I jumped in the shower real quick and then got dressed. I was trying to put my shoes on when I felt something wet against my skin that caused me to jump. "Why would you get me wet like that?" He whispered. "You know why. I want you stop." "I'm trying. I really am. I get nervous and I need something." He whined. "What are you nervous about? I'm the one who's having a baby." "I know. I can't imagine how you must feel now." "Just try to stop. For me. For the baby. Please?!" "Of course, I will. Now, do you think you can help me dry off?" "Aww. I would love too, but I'm already late for my appointment." "When you get back, we'll  have our fun, okay?" "Okay." I finished getting dressed and headed out the door. I arrived at my doctor's office with just a few minutes to spare. The waiting room had only one other woman in there, but it looked like she was waiting for someone. After I signed in, I took the seat closest to the door. Ten minutes later, the door opened and a nurse came out with a clipboard. "The doctor will see now, ma'am." I followed her to room with different kinds of machines. "Shell be here in a minute. You can lay back on the bed." The nurse said before she closed the door behind her. After another few minutes of waiting, the doctor finally arrived. "How are you today?" She asked, typing something in the computer. "Good. How are you?" I replied. "I'm doing well. I see you're halfway. Have you had any types of problems so far?" "Other than cravings, nothing new." "Wonderful. If you'll  just left your shirt up, we can start on the ultrasound." I did what she told me. She put this  cold, blue gel on my stomach and then put a weird device on top. Then she began to move it around. Up on the screen was a blurry image of the baby. "Ok, everything looks normal. I...hold on." "What?!" I said, starting to panic. " It seems to be there two sets of feet. And look four hands!!" "What?! Is everything ok?" I asked. "It looks like you're having twins, Mrs. Renner." "Oh my...are you sure?" "I'm positive. It looks like you're having a boy and a girl. Congratulations." She said. I was so shocked to find out that I was having twins. A million things crashed into my mind. On the drive home, I was coming up with names for the babies. I couldn't wait to tell Jeremy. I pulled up in my driveway and quickly as I could walked to the door. "Baby, I'm home!! I've got good news!!" I yelled. Silence answered me. That's weird. His car is here and he has no place to go today. Maybe he's taking a nap upstairs. I crept upstairs to our room. As I was getting closer, I was hearing strange noises. A low grunting and the bed sqeaking. Our door was shut which never is unless I'm mad. I slowly turned to the door knob to a heartbreaking sight. Jeremy on top of that lady from the babyshower. Their clothes were thrown everywhere. "What the fuck is this?!?!" I screamed at the top of my lungs. "Uh...baby. It's not what it looks like." Jeremy quickly said, jumping off of her. "How could you?! " I spat. Tears already running down my face. "Baby, please. Let me explain." He said, trying to tough me. I moved away from him. "You know what? I'm not doing this." I smiled at him which made him look at me crazy. "If you want to sleep with that fake bitch, go ahead, but I don't have the energy to deal with you right now. I'm leaving." I said, taking my car keys again and heading out the door. "Baby, please...don't go. I'm sorry." Jeremy said, following me out to the driveway. I got back in the car and drove somewhere. Where? I don't know. I need to breath and calm down before I upset the babies. I drove to a park and walked around a little. I sat by the lake as I watched the sun go to bed.