Bixby

[Where have you been? I've been looking all over D.C. for you. As always whenever I look for you, I end up wi the the same result, nothing. It's  as if you just disappeared off the face of the earth. I don't even think Treadstone is looking for you anymore. I heard they have bigger problems than trying to chase us. Anyway, it's getting late and I have work in a couple of hours. I miss you. I love you.]
I glanced back at my laptop screen then the clock. The red numbers read 2:06 am. With a heavy sigh, I pressed the send button and closed my laptop. I climbed into bed, cradling my pillow and tried to fall asleep. BEEP....BEEP....BEEP!!!! My alarm screeched at me. I groggily got up and went into the kitchen. Snowflake, my husky puppy, welcomed me from her cage with half barks. "Morning, snowflake." I said, letting her out. While she was doing her business, I made some coffee. Lost in my thoughts, I didn't hear her come back in until a wet tongue surprised me. "Oh, geez. Snowflake, you scared me." I told her as she looked up at me with one her toys in her mouth. "Come on. I don't have time for this. Alright." I quickly tossed the toy down the hall. After it, she went. I threw it again, but this time after I threw it, I bolted back up to the room and hid behind the door. Seconds later, snowflake came running through. She dropped the toy and went into the bathroom. She came out and spotted me behind the door. "Ok. Ok. You win. Now, I have to get ready for work." I said. I took a hot shower and got dressed. The traffic was bearable and I made it on time. I signed and went to my desk. "Hey, girl. You ready for tonight?" My friend, Monica, asked, practically jumping up and down. "Uh...yea." I said softly. "What's wrong? Is it him again?" I nodded, trying to keep back tears. Monica got down on my level. "Listen, he's alright. I promise you. You'll see him again." I nod again. "He' s gonna be ok and he'll come back. Now, please try to get some work done before you know who gets here. I can't deal with that lady this morning. I just can't." Monica quickly got and left my office. I let my daily work engulf me with its pettiness. Watching numbers change would drive anyone made. Anyone. Around noonish, I decided to take a break and grab a cup of coffee. The break room wasn't crowded. Just a couple other co-workers talking. I watched the coffee brew for a second before my mind quickly ran off. Everything around me seemed to have melted away. "Hello?! June, can you hear me? Are you okay?" I saw a small hand wave past my face. "Huh?" "I've been calling you for, like, ever now. We still on for tonight? I can't wait. We're gonna  have so much fun." Nat said. "Yea. Yea, I just talked to Monica about it." I replied, taking a sip of coffee. "Good. I have to go now because you know Ms. Hughes will be coming by soon." Nat said as she left the room. Now, it's just me. A few seconds went by before I heard someone clear their throat. I turned to see the hag herself, Ms. Hughes. I kept you mouth shut as she walked closer. Her thin, cracked lips formed a smile. "I've just been going over your files and couldn't help but notice that you're a doctor in...?" She said. "Yes. I was. A long time." I answered, trying to avoid eye contact. "Yes. I also couldn't help to notice that you were a part of an...experiment, I should say, in a lab just north of here." "Yes. The lab decided to shut down." I replied softly. "No. I know you were a part of that shooting. I know you helped him out with his chems." My throat got instantly dry. "The police are their way. I'm just upset I didn't figure it out sooner." She laughed. Without even thinking about it, I threw the rest of my coffee on her. "Ahhh!!!" She screamed just as my knuckles came in contact with her jaw. She laid quietly on the ground as I rushed back to my office. I grabbed my purse and headed toward the lobby. When the elevator doors dingged open, my heart dropped. Three police officers were at the front desk. I quickly passed them, keeping my head down. I took the long way home. Once I got there, I shut all the blinds. I rushed upstairs to take a shower. I put the old clothes in a black trash bag. I sat silently on bed watching the news. The story has already gone out, making it seem much more complex than is. "I wonder if Aaron is seeing this?"