what did you think we were doing?

the house had been the right size when they bought it, the pool was great, their bedroom was perfect, there were enough guest rooms to have parties. But something changed one day, it felt too big, as did the car. Everything they did, everywhere they went, they felt like they were missing something.

"Brendon?" Sarah called through the, very empty, house. Brendon was usually in his studio at this time of day, recording or rehearsing something for the tour. She stuck her head through the door to the large room, finding Brendon hunched over the desk, fiddling with the volume of a bass line. 

"Bren," she tries again, he turns around quickly, face falling into a frown as he does "Hey, have I missed dinner again. Shit I don't know what the time is, what's wrong?" She smiles softly at him, closing the studio door behind her as she walks forward, placing a hand on his shoulder "It's half-three, don't worry. I was just thinking that we should go out and get a coffee if you're not too busy." Brendon smiles, standing and picking up the snapback that had previously fallen to the ground, "Sure, sounds good." 

As they walked to the small coffee shop a few streets away Brendon held Sarah's hand. They both knew it felt like something wasn't right, that something was missing, but neither of them spoke about it. That was how they'd been living their lives for the past year, acting like everything felt normal even though it didn't. Touring with Fall Out Boy for a few months had made them forget about the nagging feeling that now surrounded them at all times, but Patrick, Pete, Joe and Andy had gone to Europe as part of the international tour, and neither Brendon or Sarah felt like life on the road overseas. 

Sarah orders while Brendon posts a photo, from a promo-shoot a few days ago for the new album, on instagram.  She returns a few moments later, two coffees in hand, sitting next to Brendon.

They drink slowly in silence, Brendon ignoring the notifications appearing on his phone, before Sarah places her cup down, turning to face him "You know, ever since we got back from touring with Pete and everyone, even before that, doesn't everything feel weird? I know this is a bit forward, and I know we've said that we aren't really thinking about this yet, but I think it's the right time to start looking at having a kid Brendon." He blinks, not sure what to say before she sighs, slumping back in the chair "It'd be nice if you at least said something." Brendon looks at her quickly "No, no. I was just thinking, sorry. I think you're right. Maybe, maybe it's the right thing to do. I mean, life would just get even busier, with Panic, and the new album. But we could make it work, it's not like everyone else hasn't." He smiles nervously and Sarah beams back at him, kissing him before taking another sip of coffee. 

"Y'know, I reckon we should talk to Pete or Joe when they get back home next week. Talk things through with them and see what they think." Brendon says slowly, stirring his drink. Sarah looks down, fidgeting "Bren, I think, if we're serious about this, I think I'd rather adopt." He stops again, looking around before nodding "Yeah, me too." They smile, hugging each other before laughing.

Later that night, Brendon jumps on the couch, holding a package and waving it excitedly in-front of Sarah. She giggles, taking the bag from his hands "Hey, look who's album arrived!" She pulls the blue and black box out and places it on the table. Brendon looks skeptical about opening it, he's his own worst critic.

"I reckon we should wait for everyone to listen to it properly." He speaks softly, pulling Sarah into a tight embrace. She rolls her eyes "Not even the song you wrote about me?" She smiles sweetly, wanting to hear the entire album but knowing Brendon would rather wait. He nods, standing and sorting through the tracks until he finds Death Of A Bachelor, the title track. As the opening chords play he pulls her to her feet, yelling "Dance with me!" as they twirl around the room. The neighbours will most definitely make another noise complaint, but they don't care right now. All that matters is that Brendon's singing in her ear along with the recorded Brendon's voice, she holds onto his shoulders as they swing around the room, eventually reaching the couch by the end of the song. 

"What'd you think?" He asks, leaning his head on her shoulder. She smiles, brushing the hair out of his face "I love it, you've really outdone yourself on this one. You should be proud of yourself." He smiles back, kissing her cheek before the pair find their way through the house to their bedroom, falling into a comfortable sleep.

a/n: hi, and welcome to my brendon/sarah adoption fic. i hope you guys like this :) i'm really looking forward to writing it !