take it or leave it

Holidays were weird. When most of their time was already spent jetting around the globe, holidays usually involved days on the couch watching netflix over pizza and ice-cream, occasional music sessions, followed by more netflix and food. 

"Thailand?" Maya asks from her seat on the plane, next to the window. Brendon shrugs "It'll be cool, besides, it's not like we're going anywhere we'll be stopped for autographs and selfies." Sarah laughs "Says you, mister 'I love all of my fans, i love being able to connect with the people who let me do something i love as my job'" Brendon rolls his eyes "You know what I mean. There's going to be so much fun stuff," He throws his arms up, almost hitting Maya in the face "sorry, but there's going to be elephants, and snorkelling and shit." he finishes. Maya nods slowly "Sure, whatever you say." she thinks for a moment "It's not like I really have a choice anyway, I mean we're literally already on the flight." she decides. Brendon reaches over and ruffles her already messy hair "That's my girl."

The sun bounces off the water, lighting up the entire white room behind the pool. Maya drops her bags, Sarah wrapping her arms around her in a hug from behind "You like it?" Maya nods "It's amazing." She states, the same sentence she's been saying for days since they arrived in Tokyo. Brendon laughs, closing the door "It's ours for this week. And there's great beaches just down the hill." Maya nods excitedly as Sarah walks towards the window "What'd you want to do today?" Maya looks to Brendon who nods at her "It's your choice today kid." Maya shrugs "Elephants?" she asks happily. Brendon and Sarah nod.

"Aw, they're so cute." Sarah says from next to Maya, Brendon rolls his eyes "They're just like you guys," he matches her tone "Wrinkly and smelling of poo!" Maya squeals, hitting Brendon with her snapback "Rude." She declares, marching off to stand with Sarah once more. By the evening they're sitting with a few other friends who came with them on a huge deck overlooking the pools and the beach, Sarah and Brendon are talking and laughing while Maya lies with her head in Brendon's lap, her eyes closed "You asleep kiddo?" Brendon asks quietly, Maya shakes her head slowly, her eyes remaining closed "Just a long day." She replies. Brendon nods, leaning dow and kissing the top of her head "You can go to sleep now if you want, I'll carry you back in."  Maya nods, falling asleep quickly.

"Beach day!" Brendon yells from the small kitchen, holding a mug of coffee. Sarah nods "Snorkelling?" Sarah asks. Maya bounds into the room, already wearing the black and white one-piece Sarah bought her on their way here "Snorkelling!" she confirms, grabbing Brendon's mug and taking a sip of his coffee. Brendon stands with his hands in the air "No, no, no. Small urie doesn't get coffee, especially when you're already hyper." Maya giggles, tipping her head back and laughing loudly. Sarah shakes her head, smiling "You're never drinking coffee again."

Brendon does a backflip off the boat, Maya jumps in after him. Sarah laughs, filming the two mucking around. After an hour or so of swimming around Brendon miraculously has a signal to periscope from the beach. Maya giggles as he starts the broadcast, covered in sand and flowers that her and Sarah had dumped on him. Brendon laughs at himself "Scopin' from a beach." Maya moves so she's in the video "We decorated him." She laughs as the fans explode in the chat. Sarah calls Maya over "Come on, we're taking a photo." She stands in ankle deep water, hugging Maya who laughs once more, hugging Sarah back.

"Thank you." Maya says quietly as they walk back up the beach later that night, Sarah shakes her head, still smiling at her daughter "Maya, you don't need to thank us for everything. You deserve this. You've waited pretty long for it." Maya smiles, hugging Sarah again as Brendon runs ahead, no doubt doing something stupid with Zack.

The end of their week on holiday comes to an end all too soon, as does the end of summer. It was on the plane that Brendon turns to Maya "Hey kiddo." She glances up from her phone, eyebrows raised as Brendon continues "Sarah and I were thinking, it's the end of summer, how'd you feel about starting school?" Maya thinks for a moment, placing her phone in her lap "I mean, I don't have anything against it." Brendon nods slowly "So you'd be all good with it? It's just, government policy and all that shit." he laughs and Maya laughs back "Sure. When would I start?" Brendon looks down sheepishly "Technically school starts in two days, but we've got you an extra week claiming it was jet lag recovery time." Maya rolls her eyes "So you asked, but you already enrolled me." She grins. Sarah nods guiltily "It's not like we could've gone to a school and say 'oh yeah, by the way we'd like to enrol our daughter to start even though applications closed'" Maya shrugs "Can we go shopping, for school stuff, and clothes." She smiles sweetly, Sarah nods "Definitely."

a/n: this one is so short sorry but maya's starting school next week ! woo !           

hope you liked this chapter !

grace x