on my mind

"And in entertainment news, lead singer and front man of Panic! At The Disco, Brendon Urie, pushes back upcoming arena tour due to 'unforeseen family circumstances' telling our source that the tour will happen, but the start date is unconfirmed yet." Maya's head snaps up from her lukewarm chicken. Tears begin to form in her eyes, quickly her face is soaked with tears. Rachel walks in, rolling her eyes at the crying girl "For god's sake, grow up. It's been four months." Maya looks up through red puffy eyes "You don't give a shit about me, you never have and you never will. What was the point of taking back my custody, what was the point of making me move here. Huh? What was it? Because now I'm failing school, I'm the saddest I've ever been, and you don't care. Why did you want me back? Why the fuck would you do this to someone?" Rachel sits down "Because you're my daughter and I'll raise you how I like! You know I get payments from your fucking useless father now you're back. Just let me live a little with some money." She yells. Maya stands, turning to go to her room "If you wanted to raise me you should've got your act together five years ago. You lost the right to be my mother when you left me behind. As for the money, I'm really not surprised." She slams the door behind her.

Brendon throws another file to the table "That's all the evidence we need. It's mandatory at that school for counselling sessions every two weeks, there are fucking psychologists saying she has home issues and it's effecting her mental health." Pete holds his hands behind his neck "Look, all I'm saying is the less Maya knows the better. We'll get all the evidence and present it to the jury, then all we can do is wait. If she finds out you're testifying again she'll want to fly down for the hearing, and if it goes to shit again she'll lose it." Sarah nods "Pete's right Bren, she shouldn't know until it's certain." Brendon nods, lying on the sofa "The lawyer said we can send it in to them now and they'll try to fast track it." Pete nods, running his hands through his hair "I'm going to see Joe, I'll be back later." Sarah nods at him, sitting next to Brendon "You should get some sleep. It's going to be a long two weeks."

December arrives. The tour was two months behind, Brendon and Sarah barely sleep. Everyone worries about them, but they're doing their hardest to get the court to review Maya's case. Maya gets worse as each day goes on, beginning to ditch school and spend the day wandering New York. She skates past the school, seeing multiple students stare at her as she continues down the street towards the skate park. She wasn't great on ramps, but good enough to spend entire days there. Rachel's waiting at the house when she arrives "Why aren't you going to school, you've been skipping for a week now. Do you know how much I pay to send you there? First your grades, and now this?" Maya shrugs, pushing past to slam her door. She lies on her bed, staring up at the ceiling. She digs through her bag, finding her phone and a pair of headphones Patrick gave her. She opens iTunes, noticing a file she doesn't recognise. 

"If all our life is but a dream. Fantastic posing greed, then we should feed our jewellery to the sea." Maya closes her eyes, holding the phone against her chest as Brendon sings "For diamonds do appear to be, just like broken glass to me." She can't stop the crying, and rolls onto her side, curling tightly into a ball "Tripping eyes, and flooded lungs, northern downpour sends its love." She takes short gasps of air "I want to go home!" She wails, wrapping her arms around herself "I want to go back." She screams, Rachel throws the door open, slapping Maya across the face, the song continues, she pushes her headphones against her ears even more, cradling her head in her hands "Don't hit me!" Maya screams Rachel yells at her, she can't hear it over Brendon's singing "I know the world's a broken bone, but melt your headaches, call it home." Maya screams and screams and screams until Rachel leaves.

"Brendon and Sarah Urie, the court has made their decision, if you'd like to come back."

Maya wakes on the floor, dragging herself toward the wardrobe and pulling some clothes out, hastily getting dressed, skipping breakfast to slide into her seat on time. Her skateboard hangs out of her bag, and a boy next to her leans over "Finally sick of the skate park?" He laughs lowly. Maya shrugs, turning to the front.

"We've reviewed the evidence, and under the law the custody should still remain with her biological parents," Sarah takes a sharp breath, holding Brendon's hand as they continue "But we have more recent evidence provided by the neighbours of Rachel Eller's apartment. Screaming was heard a few nights ago, specifically a young girl screaming for someone to stop hitting her. There was only two people in the house at the time, Maya and Rachel. Under these circumstances, full custody will be returned to Brendon and Sarah Urie immediately." 

Brendon turns to Sarah, and it's like a weight has been lifted off both of them. Brendon pulls Sarah into a close embrace "We did it. God, she's coming home Sarah. She's coming home for christmas." He whispers. They meet Pete and Megan in the parking lot. Pete's face is halfway between upset and nervous. Brendon nods, and both Megan and Pete break into a smile. Sarah hugs Megan, the two men cheering. 

Maya stumbles out of the school building, dropping the skateboard to the sidewalk and lazily pushing herself back to the house. She unlocks the door, finding a letter addressed to her on the floor. Dumping her bag and board on the bed, she walks to the kitchen, not having eaten the entire day. She pulls some crackers out of the cupboard, sitting on the table to open the letter

Miss Maya Urie,

She pauses before continuing, re-reading her name.

Please find enclosed your boarding pass, your flight details are as follows:

JFK International Airport to LAX  International Airport; Monday December 13, 7:20 am.

Kind Regards, and safe travels.

Maya drops the paper, grabbing the envelope and pulling the thin cardboard out. Sure enough, her name is printed on the plane ticket. She leaves in two days. What for, she doesn't know, but she's getting out of New York, for that she's grateful. Rachel arrives, throwing the door open angrily, glaring at Maya before sighing, walking to her room. Maya begins packing the few belongings she has into a suitcase, she doesn't care that she's probably returning here, she's taking what she can. She places her bass carefully in it's own case, sitting on her bed and smiling.

a/n: yayayayayay go brendon and sarah woo

hope you guys like this chapter ! 

grace x