friends who jam together, stay together.

the party was full of familiar faces for anyone who read Alternative Press magazines, Brendon stood by a speaker with Joe Trohman, talking over a bottle of beer each. Brendon coughs before he gathers enough courage to ask "Hey, how did you and Marie go with Ruby and balancing the band as well?" He asks quickly, Joe steps back "Are you and Sarah thinking about--"
"Yeah, well, we're just thinking about it at the moment." Brendon sighs, running a hand through his hair "Did you ever get that feeling that, you'd been married for a while and everything's perfect, but one day it just feels like something's missing? Like, the house is too empty and there's another space on the sofa and at the table and in the pool." he asks again. Joe thinks for a moment, looking over to Pete before turning back to Brendon "Yeah I guess Marie and I had that. But that was while Fall Out Boy was on hiatus, not while we were touring."

Sarah walks over, draping her arm over Brendon's shoulders "That's the thing, we were thinking about adopting. Before the tour started."

Joe looks between the two of them, frowning before his face softens "You could make it work, I don't doubt that.  You'll make great parents, that's for sure."
Patrick and Andy join them, Patrick looking confused "Who's being great parents?"
Brendon looks to Sarah "We were just talking about Ruby, how she's doing with school." Patrick glances at Andy who shrugs "Oh, cool. How is she, by the way." Patrick turns to Joe who smiles "Yeah, she's going great. She loves it, at the moment. She's pretty set on learning piano."

Brendon and Sarah move away as casually as possible, before Sarah pulls Brendon into an empty corridor "You know, if we're serious about this then we have to tell Patrick and Andy." she whispers. Brendon nods "And Pete. Shit, this is too fast though, we should wait a week and just think about it." Sarah rolls her eyes at him "Bren, we've been thinking about this for almost a year. This is just the first time we've actually talked about it." Brendon sighs, knowing she's right. Sarah straightens the shirt he's wearing, fixing his hair "Let's just go talk to Pete, then we'll get them all together and tell them all later." Brendon frowns "Later, like in a week or something?" Sarah nods "There's forms and checks that we have to do before we can adopt hon, let's get that sorted before we tell anyone else." He nods again "Joe'll keep quiet about it."

Almost a month later, Brendon slumps onto the table, lifting a pen in triumph "Done." His voice is muffled by the table. Sarah looks up from opposite him, smiling as she signs her name on the last piece of paperwork. "Do you want to send them in today, or wait?" He asks, resting his head on her shoulder as he stands behind her. She shrugs "We may as well get it over and done with." He nods, kissing her cheek and collecting all the papers spread out on the table. Sarah stands, stretching and pulling her hair back into a ponytail. When Brendon returns almost two hours later, she's holding the menu for the pizza place down the street "Pepperoni?" She asks, holding her phone in the other hand. Brendon nods happily "Sounds good." 

The pizza boxes remain on the coffee table the next morning, Sarah and Brendon slouched into each other having fallen asleep on the couch. Brendon's woken by a knock at the door. He pushes his hair away from his forehead as he walks towards the door, throwing a beanie on in an attempt to make it look like he didn't just wake up. 

"Package for Brendon and Sarah Urie?" The UPS worker asks tiredly. Brendon nods, signing and taking the box from them. Brendon pulls the top open, picking up a large file of papers, the American Adoption Offices stamp printed across the top. Brendon almost drops them in surprise "I thought it said this would take a week or so, not a day." He exclaims, the bored looking delivery worker shrugs "It's the start of the year, they always push cases through quickly if they can." Brendon nods, thanking him and closing the door. He walks through to the kitchen, where Sarah's cooking eggs and bacon "What was it?" She says over her shoulder, taking two plates from a cupboard and placing them on the bench, returning to the bacon. Brendon throws the file onto the table "They've gone through the paper work." He states simply, Sarah nearly drops a plate "They've what?" Brendon nods "They sent it back this morning. The UPS guy said they push cases through quickly at the start of the year, apparently we got lucky." He frowns "Or not, but I haven't opened it yet." Sarah rests her hand on his shoulder, kissing him quickly as she picks up the packet "Shall we?" she asks softly, he nods again as she opens it.

A large green approved stamp lays over the top of the paragraphs printed on the paperwork. Brendon smiles widely, swinging Sarah into the air and hugging her tightly. She laughs and hugs him back "We're going to be parents Bren." She whispers, he smiles "We sure are."

a/n: sorry this is so short, you'll meet said child in the next chapter :) 

grace x