i rode the city in a shopping cart

The class that they all knew would end badly was film studies "In groups of four to five I want you to film a three minute clip depicting a specific social situation any one of you has found yourselves in. You can use the park, the school grounds and the basketball courts as settings, you have the rest of the class to film but you must be back by three." the teacher had instructed them. Piper suggested the park, and as they walked there, they discussed what situation to film "This one time I threw a slice of pizza at Pete's head, he got the topping and shit all over him." Sam spits her drink out laughing as Maya shows them the photos. Noah thinks for a moment "Once when I was little I climbed into a shopping cart at a park and it started rolling towards the lake. My parent's weren't paying attention and I drifted to the middle of the lake before they noticed I was gone." Maya snorted, almost dropping her phone she was laughing so hard "We have to do that." Piper, who's on the sidewalk laughing, nods ""I don't think it even counts as a social situation. But let's do it." 

Sam sets up their camera, which is Amelia's phone balanced on a park bench, Maya and Amelia walk around, looking for a shopping cart while Noah writes up a short script. Maya walks next to Amelia "What are you doing on the weekend?" She asks. Amelia shrugs "My parents and brother are going up to New York for some financial thing. I'm staying home." Maya thinks for a moment "You should come over to my place tonight. You can stay the whole weekend if you want." she suggests, Amelia's face brightens at her words and she nods "Is it cool with your parents?" She asks, Maya nods "I'll call them after we've filmed. Look, there's a shopping cart in the pond over there." Amelia fakes a gag as they pull the cart out of the water and mud. It's covered in mud and soggy plants, but it'll do. 

"Sam's getting in the cart!" Piper announces when she sees the cart. Sam sighs "Why does it have to be me?" Maya laughs "Because you already smell like shit." Sam feigns hurt "Rude. Remind me why we're friends." Maya shrugs "Because you yelled at me about my parents the first time we met." She laughs again, Sam joining her. Noah laughs, throwing a piece of paper to Sam "Get in the cart, Sam." He grins, hitting record on the phone as Maya and Noah pretend to have lunch on the grass, Sam rolls down the hill in the dirty shopping cart.  Piper and Amelia stand the the side, acting like concerned on lookers as Noah and Maya chase after Sam. 

The hill is steeper than it looks, and Sam was going faster than they thought. Piper grabs the camera, running after Maya, Noah and Amelia who are chasing Sam, who's rolling towards the plant filled pond they pulled the shopping cart out of. Maya laughs as Sam screams like she's on a rollercoaster, Noah shakes his head, grinning while running. They're not fast enough, and Sam ends up covered in green and brown gunk as the cart crashes into the slimey water. Sam squeals "This is disgusting!" She flicks some of it at Maya, it lands in her hair. She grimaces, lifting it up before throwing it at Piper. Noah laughs at the three of them, as he stands free of pond-shit "We've gotta get back, you all smell like you've shit yourselves." Maya rolls her eyes, following Noah out of the park and across the road back to class. As they walk, Maya calls Brendon "Dad?" Brendon picks the phone up, balancing a stack of papers and his laptop in his other hand "Hey kiddo, what's up?" Maya laughs as Sam does a cartwheel across the empty road "I was wondering if a friend of mine could stay over for the weekend, her parents are going out of town." Brendon almost drops the laptop, Sarah takes his phone from him "Hi May, what was it? Bren's trying to balance four things in one hand." Maya laughs softly once more "A friend of mine's parent's are going to New York all weekend, I was wondering if she could stay over." Sarah nods, helping Brendon move more things into the studio "Sounds good to me, Bren's fine with it. I think he can pick you guys up later." Maya pauses for a moment "Only if he's not too busy." Brendon takes the phone back "Of course I'm not too busy, I'm sorry it's been so hectic though, I'll have a surprise for you soon though." Maya smiles at the thought "Cool, we'll see you then." Maya turns to Amelia, who's walking next to her "It's cool with them, my dad's picking us up after school. We can go past your place if you want to pick some clothes and stuff up." Amelia nods "Thanks so much Maya." Maya shrugs "It's cool." 

The teacher grimaces when the five of them return to class "Where did you go?" Piper shrugs "The park." he shakes his head, motioning for them to return to their seats as the other groups begin showing their films. By the time the classroom stops laughing at maya's group's film it's the end of the school day. Maya and Amelia laugh at each other, the smell of the pond shit still lingering, as they leave the building. Brendon leans against the passenger door of the black car, Maya doesn't see him until Sam, who appears next to them, yells "Who the fuck is Beebo?" Brendon looks up, seeing Maya and two others laughing at him. He grins, shaking his head as Maya and Amelia wave goodbye to Sam. Brendon laughs as they get in the car "Really? Beebo?" he smiles, leaving the school and entering LA's peak hour traffic. Maya shrugs "Hey, we didn't tell her to." Amelia laughs from beside her "It's true, she said it without telling us." Brendon nods "Seems legit." Maya smiles, looking up from her phone "This is Amelia, by the way." Brendon nods again "Cool to meet you Amelia. I'm Brendon." Amelia laughs "I know who you are. This girl who sits next to me in math doesn't shut up about you, she keeps asking me if I can get Maya to get an autograph off you or something." Maya laughs "You never told me that." Amelia smiles back "It never exactly came up." Maya rolls her eyes "How did it never exactly come up?" Amelia shrugs "I don't know, we aren't sitting at lunch when a topic like stalkers wanting people's autographs comes up." Brendon laughs at the two in the backseat, his phone begins to ring. He glances down, steering around a corner before passing his phone back to Maya "It's Pete, can you answer?" Maya nods, picking up the phone and putting it on speaker "Hey Pete-za!" she yells into the phone. Pete coughs "Jesus Maya, calm down." Maya only laughs more, Amelia giggling from next to her "Am I on speaker?" he asks, placing saint in his playpen as he walks into his kitchen "Yeah, Dad's driving." Pete rolls his eyes "Of course he is, anyway Brendon, we've got the final t-" Brendon jumps in "Pete shut the hell up." Maya frowns "What?" Pete repeats "What?" Brendon laughs "It's a surprise for small urie!" Pete nods slowly "Ah, okay. Well the final plan's been finished, now we're just talking to some other people about opening." Brendon nods as well "Have you spoken to Tyler and Josh?" Pete nods again "Yeah, they're cool with it." Brendon taps the steering weel "Awesome, I'll see you soon dude, this is going to be great." Maya narrows her eyes at Brendon, who laughs "You'll see kid, you'll see."  

a/n: wowow what could the surprise be idk. my cat likes this book, she always sits next to me while i'm writing. 

hope you liked the chapter !

grace x