can't fight against the youth

"I'd like to present our seven guest speakers for the day that we're very lucky to have here with us, Brendon Urie, Patrick Stump, Tyler Joseph, Josh Dun, Gerard Way, and Pete Wentz. I'd also like to thank Maya Urie for helping organise this." Brendon smiles at his daughter, who's sitting next to Amelia in the small hall "Gentlemen, if you could give us a short introduction on your instruments or vocal talents." Amelia could tell Josh was trying to contain a laugh at the way the head of the music department was speaking to them. Brendon coughs slightly before starting. The day goes almost completely to plan, except for when Josh breaks a drumstick while playing, which flies across the room and hits the back of Pete's head. Maya laughs about what some of the kids said to Brendon on the drive home, texting Amelia. 

Maya ran through the corridor the next day, eventually slowing to a walk, she was going to be late anyway. She stumbled into math class almost ten minutes late, with no decent excuse other than she got herself into a food fight with Piper, and borrowed some spare clothes that Amelia had in her bag to change into. The teacher stood, glaring at her "Miss Urie, why are you late?" Maya fumbled with her words "I tripped." She lied, hoping he'd take it "I don't tolerate excuses, or lying. Why are you late." Maya looked at the floor, knowing if she said the real reason she'd just get into even more trouble for breaking a school rule "Miss Urie?" Maya shrugs and doesn't answer. The teacher gets fed up and hands her a slip "Detention, this afternoon. Go to your seat and don't disturb the class again." She opens her mouth to speak but he cuts her off "If you wanted to try and explain I gave you a chance to earlier. Go." There's a few snickers as she walks to her desk and slumps in the seat. When the bell goes for lunch she walks toward the oval rather than the cafeteria, clutching the paper in her hand, she grabs her phone as she sits with her back against a tree, out of sight. Tears begin to cloud vision as she tries to text, she gives up and calls a random contact 

"Maya?" A familiar voice answers, but Maya can't pick who it is "Maya honey, what's wrong?" Maya sniffs "Sorry, I didn't read who I called, who is this?" There's a laugh from the other end of the phone "It's Halsey sweetheart, but you can call me Ashley. Now tell me, what's wrong?" Maya shakes her head "I was late to class, but I didn't tell the teacher why and he gave me a detention. Dad's going to kill me." Ashley sighs, falling onto her sofa "Aw, Maya. That sucks. Brendon won't be too mad though, he'll understand love." Maya shakes her head "I don't think he will, and he's been really stressed lately, with the tour." She nods slowly from her living room "I get it, trust me, I had my fair share of detentions when I was in school. It's not the end of the world love, you'll be okay. Are you with any friends?" Maya sniffs again "I'm sitting behind a tree on the oval. I didn't really want to see anyone." Ashley frowns "Tell me you've eaten lunch at least?" Maya doesn't respond and she sighs "Okay love, you're going to find an empty bathroom, wash your face, put some music on and walk to the cafeteria. Get something quickly to eat and go say hi to your friends. Call me if you need anything, okay? And call me when the detention's finished, I'll come pick you up." Maya tugs on her hair loosely "Okay. Thanks Ha-Ashley." Ashley giggles from the other end of the phone "See you soon love."

"Maya Urie?" Maya keeps her head down as she walks into the classroom "Yeah." she says softly, sitting down at the desk. The room is silent, two other kids sitting towards the front of the class. She stares at the ceiling, bored and lonely. What feels like hours later, the teacher stands, gathering their things off the desk "You're free to go." Maya walks slowly to the front of the school, a white car pulls up, and a short-haired woman steps out. Maya looks up, smiling softly as Ashley pulls her into a hug "Hey, how was it?" Maya shrugs "It was a detention." Ashley laughs as they pair get in the car. A few minutes into their drive, she turns the radio on, Closer begins to play and Ashley laughs "That's my song!" She says excitedly. Maya laughs at that, and as they drive, her mood lifts considerably. Ashley pulls into the driveway, parking the car. Brendon flies out of the house "Where have you been?" he asks hurriedly as Maya gets out of the car, pulling her bag off the floor "I had a detention." she mutters, Brendon stops "You what?" Ashley leans over to talk to Brendon "I picked her up afterwards. It's fine." Brendon turns to her "It's not fine." Sarah ignores Brendon, talking to Ashley "Thank you so much for picking her up." Ashley shrugs "It's the least I could do, but I should go. See you guys soon." Sarah nods and Maya stops her argument with Brendon to thank her and wave as Ashley drives away. 

"Why didn't you call me?" Brendon yells as Sarah closes the front door, the three of them standing in the living room. Maya sighs "Because I knew you'd be mad." She yells back. Brendon steps back "I wouldn't have been mad if you'd told me earlier, and not just shown up at home late." Sarah puts her hand on his shoulder "Brendon, I think you're over reacting a little." He rolls his eyes "I'm not over reacting, she got a detention, and didn't bother to tell us. Aren't you worried at all?" Sarah sighs "A little, yes. But we don't know what the detention was even for, I doubt you'd punch someone or something May." Brendon's still furious "I can't believe you wouldn't think to at least text me." Maya falls onto the sofa "It's not my fault you've been busy all the time with the tour!" Brendon runs a hand through his hair "So it's my fault now? That's my job, Maya, we're going on tour in just over two months. I'm sorry it gets in the way of your life!" Maya crosses her arms "I don't even want to be here!" She yells, knowing she's taken this too far, but she's too angry to stop now. Brendon's jaw clenches "So what, you don't care anymore? Is that it? You're just here for the money, for the press, for the attention?" He yells back. Sarah steps forward, too close to slapping him for any of them to make rational decisions anymore "Brendon shut up!" She yells at him. Maya's mouth falls open, tears clouding her vision for the second time that day "I'm going out." she whispers, standing and running to her room, grabbing a bag and stuffing a pair of pants, a shirt, a jumper and her phone charger into it. She shoves a beanie over her head, grabbing her phone of the table downstairs and walking into the streets of LA as the sun sets.

a/n: oooo angsty + late night update whoops

hope you guys like this chapter !

grace x