you've made a mess again

a/n: trigger warning 

They play the next shows, both Maya and Brendon feel off, like they aren't being themselves. They know they aren't, and it's obvious to the crowd and their bandmates. On their way to the next venue Brendon picks up the old meds he took for his adhd and anxiety. Maya notices that he's taking something, he was a lot quieter. Maya becomes shyer and quieter too, sulking in her bunk, waiting for calls from Sarah daily. Her and Brendon are barely making it call to call, let alone show to show. Patrick's the first one to notice, then Josh and Tyler. Brendon brushes it off saying he's tired and it's coming to the end of a long tour. Pete and Joe aren't so sure that's all there is to it.

They've hardly gotten on the bus when Sarah calls. Brendon walks to the back of the bus to take the call "Hi." His voice is almost monotone. Sarah takes a gasp of breath like she's been crying "Hey, Bren." She pauses "I'm going into hospital, it's getting serious. They're putting me on dialysis. Whatever this is, they've figured out that it's in my blood." Brendon sits down in the middle of the bus, silently in shock "Sarah-" His voice breaks and she shakes her head from the car "I still want you to finish the tour, you've only got a week left. I'll be here when you get back, I promise." She sighs "I love you, Brendon. Tell Maya I love her too." Brendon nods slowly "I love you Sarah." He takes a breath, hanging up and placing his phone on the floor "I can't do this." He whispers. 

Maya sits in her hotel room, quietly lying on her bed, waiting for motivation to do anything at all. Sarah's going into hospital. Her mom is sick, really sick. It feels like hours since she's moved. She decides she needs something to focus on, so moves to sort through her bag, tripping on her shoes and falling to the carpet. Her hands drag across the scratchy surface, trying to slow her fall. When she picks herself up, they're bleeding from carpet burn. It stings, but she can't help herself from pressing against the palms of her hands, bringing more of the stinging sensation. Brendon knocks on her door and she stands quickly, walking to the small bathroom and grabbing a wet towel to wash her hands before opening the door "What'd you do?" He asks softly. She shakes her head "I tripped over." He moves to take the towel and wipe the blood off her arms, but she pushes his hands away, suddenly angry "I can take care of myself!" She snaps, turning away from Brendon, who looks blankly at the floor for a few moments before standing and leaving.

"Come roof-topping with us!" yells someone from the door. She was at another afterparty from a concert, she wasn't sure how she had ended up here, but there she was, smoking and drinking with people she didn't know. She laughs and shrugs, following them up the many flights of stairs. The leader of the group shoves the hatch open and the group of fifteen or so spill onto the roof in excited cheers and drunk laughs. Maya follows, and eventually the group end sitting on the edge of the roof, their legs hanging off the seven-level drop. Maya turns to the boy next to her, who laughs before he asks "Do you reckon if you jumped it'd kill you?" Maya shrugs and the boy laughs again, taking a drag from a cigarette that definitely isn't straight up tobacco, he walks towards the group in the centre of the roof, leaving Maya sitting by the edge. She looks down at the few groups of people walking down the street below her, and the boy's question returns to her mind. Would she die if she jumped?

Brendon wakes up in a spare bunk on the fall out boy bus, wearing jeans and a feather boa. He sits up slowly, looking to where Pete is, on his phone "What the hell happened?" he mumbles, Pete laughs "You got drunk and started to strip." Brendon frowns, shaking his head before noticing "Dude, where's Maya?" He asks tiredly, he hasn't taken anything in almost twelve hours. He reminds himself to once he's found his daughter. Pete shrugs "She left a while ago, she said she was going to hang out with some of the crew in the dressing rooms." Brendon pauses before he realises "Pete, our crews are all in the busses with us." Pete looks up slowly and Brendon stands "She's at the fucking afterparty." He yells, pulling his shirt back over his head and storming out the bus, grabbing his phone. Pete follows, yelling for Tyler, Josh, Patrick, Andy and Joe. Brendon calling Dallon, Kenny and Dan. The group walk towards the arena, Brendon swearing furiously at Dallon, who nods and reassures him she'll be fine.