the kids aren't alright

Brendon steps off the bus, Maya hasn't returned yet, and he hasn't got a text from anyone saying she was staying on their bus for the night. He tries calling her one more time, only to be met with her voice mail. He walks back into the venue, there was an afterparty still going, but he was too tired to drink. Brendon uses his phone's light, almost all the lights have been dimmed. He walks towards the loud music in the larger dressing room, pushing the door open, a few people yell at him while drunkenly trying to shove bottles of beer into his hands.

He finds her slouched against the wall, a bottle of vodka in one hand, her phone, still ringing, in the other. Maya tips her head back against the wall, giggling at nothing. Brendon stops for a moment, processing the scene in-front of him before he turns to the rest of the room. He storms toward the  speaker, ripping the plug out from the wall and switching the lights on "Who the fuck let my fourteen year old daughter get drunk." He yells, furious. Maya, in the corner, makes an attempt to stand before falling back to the ground. Brendon picks her up, throwing the bottle at the floor and turning back to the silent group "You fuckers are lucky I'm leaving the state tomorrow or you'd all be fucked." He slams the door as he carries his daughter out to the busses. He ignores Pete and Tyler, glaring at everything and everyone he passes and returning to his bus. 

Brendon places her down in the spare bottom bunk closest to his, rummaging through the storage compartments until he finds a bucket. Maya passes out almost as soon as her head hits the pillow, Brendon grabs a hairtie from her bag, tying her hair back as best he can while she's sleeping. He sits on the bunk opposite her, his head in his hands. Kenny walks back from the fall out boy bus first, finding Brendon. He frowns "What's up man, Pete said you were acting weird and carrying Maya back." Brendon looks up, running his hands through his hair "She managed to end up at the afterparty and some dickhead let her get drunk." Kenny's face falls "Shit." Brendon nods. 

His phone ringing wakes him up, Sarah's contact displayed "Hey." Brendon answers sleepily, rubbing the back of his neck "Bren," Sarah starts "I just came back from the doctor's." Brendon sits up so quickly he almost hits his head on the bunk above "What's wrong?" She takes a shaky breath "They don't know yet, but apparently my blood test results looked weird, and they think it's something with my kidneys." Brendon goes to talk but she interrupts "Brendon, I don't want this to stop the tour, I'll be fine, and you've only got a month and a bit to go. Just look after Maya, and everything'll be fine. I promise." She finishes, Brendon stops for a moment "Sarah I can't just abandon you, especially if you're sick." She sits on their kitchen bench, holding the papers lightly in her other hand "I'll be fine. I promise you, and I'll call if anything happens. Okay?" the line is quiet as Brendon thinks, finally he answers "Okay. I love you, I'll look after Maya." Sarah sighs, a small smile growing "Thank you. I love you too Bren."

Maya opens her eyes tiredly, looking up at Brendon who's lying on his back staring at the ceiling, before lurching over the side of the bunk and throwing up into the bucket Brendon had placed there. He shakes his head "I shouldn't have left you alone. That hangover's going to be nasty." He sits up, reaching over and rubbing her back. Maya continues throwing up, coughing "I have a lot of regrets." she remarks. Brendon stands, suddenly angry "You shouldn't have gone into the afterparty in the first place, I thought I told you to stay away from afterparty's specifically. And if I didn't, I'm sure as hell Pete or Tyler did!" He yells, slamming the sliding door behind him as he leaves the bunk compartment and joining the rest of the band in the lounge area. Tears begin to form in Maya's eyes before she bends over, throwing up again. When she can stand without falling over, she stumbles through the the lounge, grabbing a bottle of water while glaring at Brendon. Dallon frowns "What'd he do?" He asks quietly, Maya only continues to glare at Brendon "He's being an asshole, when he was the one who left me there. It's not my fault I went to the first place with people that I could find." She yells, wincing before slamming the door behind her and returning to her bunk.      

They have another two days of driving ahead of them, and Brendon figures he needs to make things up with his daughter sooner rather than later. He opens the door slowly, it's been around four hours. He sits opposite her bunk, head in his hands "I'm sorry I lashed out." He pauses "Mom's sick." he says quietly, looking up as Maya sits up "Like, flu sick? Or-" Brendon, irritated, cuts her off "It's something to do with her kidneys, they don't know for sure yet." Maya's face falls before Brendon continues "She wants us to finish the tour. We've only got a month left, and she said she'll be fine." Maya nods slowly, lying back in her bunk with a stunned expression "I'm going back to sleep, wake me up if anything changes." Brendon nods "I love you kiddo." She nods again "Love you too dad." 

a/n: it's short but loads happening in the next chapter + why are my updates so late at night for aus ?? also i've just got back from a party and i think i've lost my voice from screaming songs whoops

hope you liked this one !

grace x