the kids from yesterday

Brendon carries Maya back to the bus, both of them still crying. He places her in her bunk on the top, pulling the blankets over her small, and seemingly fragile body. He kisses her forehead, turning to lie on the opposite middle-bunk before she leans over to look at him "Dad," She whispers. He nods, looking up with red eyes from crying "Can you stay?" She asks quietly, her hair wet with tears. He nods again, pulling her into a hug as he lays next to his daughter. He doesn't know what he'd do without her, he doesn't know what he would've done if they couldn't talk her down from the roof. She hugs him again "I love you dad."

"I love you too kiddo." 

Maya wakes up, her eyes sting from crying. She rolls over, shaking Brendon's shoulders gently "Dad, wake up." Brendon opens his eyes slowly before sitting up and walking to his bag, rummaging through it to swap his hoodie for a t-shirt. Maya sits up slowly, void of any energy. Pete knocks on the wall of the bus softly before walking through. He hugs Brendon quickly "You okay man?" Brendon nods, turning back to shove the clothes back in his bag. Pete steps towards Maya, who pulls her jumper down over her hands nervously. Pete smiles wearily at her, opening his arms. Maya more or less falls from the bunk onto Pete "I'm so sorry." Pete whispers, hugging her carefully, she frowns and looks up at him "I should've been watching you. I should've noticed." Maya shakes her head, hugging him back. The three walk to the lounge, Brendon holds Maya's hand as they sit and eat. Pete hums quietly, tapping the table as a beat.

Patrick waves as they approach the back entrance of the venue, the group all hug Maya and Brendon before the walk in. Joe's about to say something when Andy hits him with a snapback. They walk through a corridor, mostly in silence, and Josh pauses before opening the door, ushering Maya and Brendon through first.  

Gerard and Frank sit on a table to the side of the room. Ray and Mikey are sitting in two chairs on the opposite side of the room. Halsey and Lindsey stand next to each other against the back wall. In the centre, on the sofa, is Spencer and Linda. Between them sits Sarah. Brendon's jaw drops slightly before he walks quickly towards Sarah, sitting on the sofa and pulling her carefully into his arms. She smiles, somewhat exhaustedly, hugging Brendon before kissing him "I missed you." She says quietly, holding his hand as Maya walks towards Sarah. Sarah holds her arms out for a hug, and Maya hesitates, willing herself not to cry as she hugs her mom. Sarah pulls away, brushing the tears off her daughter's face "Don't cry May. Everything's going to be okay." Maya nods "I love you mom." She smiles, hugging her again. Sarah hugs her back "I love you too May." Sarah leans into Brendon's side, resting her head on his shoulder. Brendon frowns quickly "Are you okay?" Sarah shrugs "Yeah, I'm just tired." Brendon nods slowly before turning to Spencer.

Maya stays with her parents for a moment longer before running towards Gerard, who picks her up off the floor in a hug "Hi hesitant alien." Gerard smiles "Hi space girl," his face becomes more serious and she looks down before he talks again "Everyone was so worried about you, I thought-" He stops himself, hugging her again "My point is, you need to talk to people when you feel like that maya. That's never your only option." She nods "I'm sorry." Gerard shakes his head "Don't apologise maya, you didn't do anything wrong." He turns to Frank, who smiles before Maya hugs him "Frank!" She exclaims "How're you doing?" he asks. Maya shrugs, looking back to Gerard who waves Mikey and Ray over. Maya stands between Gerard and Frank as the other two walk towards them. Maya waves nervously, Mikey smiles as Ray waves back "Hey Maya. Gerard and Frank have told me loads about you." Mikey nods "You seem pretty cool." Maya smiles shyly back "You guys are pretty cool too." Gerard laughs, glancing over to Brendon and Sarah before turning to Maya again "How about we get some guitars and mess around for a bit." Maya nods, following the four men to the guitar storage boxes, turning back to Lindsey and Ashley "Are you guys coming?" The shorter-haired of the two smiles, picking Maya up before walking with Lindsey towards the other "Of course." She laughs.

Sarah stands, pulling Brendon up next to her "Come on, we're going out for a bit." She takes his hand, walking slowly towards the door. Brendon stops "Are you sure you're okay for this?" He asks worriedly and she rolls her eyes "I'm not dying, Bren." The two drive to a small cafe a few minutes away from the venue. Sarah sighs as they eat "So, what happened last night?" Brendon looks up and Sarah nods "I'm not an idiot, they wouldn't have flown me here if something serious hadn't happened. And Patrick told me, how's Maya holding up today?" Brendon sighs, running his hands through his hair "She seems better now that she's with everyone. She-we-missed you." Sarah nods, reaching across the small table to take Brendon's hand "I'm not going anywhere, I promise." Brendon nods back, holding her hand carefully.

Maya sits in Mikey's lap as he teaches her the bass part of a few more songs. Gerard sits on the floor next to Lindsey while Frank, Ray and Ashely make up a song about butterflies. Gerard hums random songs before realising what it is he's singing. Frank looks up slowly, Mikey pausing from teaching Maya. Ray stops, looking to Gerard. The four exchange confused looks, until Maya hands Mikey her bass. Frank looks back to the floor as he starts playing nervously. Gerard frowns before beginning nervously "Well now this could be the last of all the ride we take, so hold on tight and don't look back." Maya sits between Lindsey and Ashley as Ray picks up one of Joe's guitars, fiddling for a minutes before playing his part. Gerard picks the mic up from the floor "I'll find you when the sun goes black. And you only live forever in the lights you make, when we were young we used to say, that you only hear the music when your heart begins to break." He looks back at Frank, who hesitates multiple times before picking up a guitar "Now we are the kids from yesterday." 

"Today, today. We are the kids from yesterday, today, today. We are the kids from yesterday, today. Cause' you only live forever in the lights you make, when we were young we used to say, that you only hear the music when your heart begins to break. Now we are the kids from yesterday." Frank walks towards Mikey and Gerard, Ray doing the same until the four are standing together in the middle of the stage, looking out on the empty arena "We are the kids from yesterday, today, today." Gerard finishes, Ray and Frank stop playing, Mikey finishes the bass line. Maya, Ashley and Lindsey clap. The three guitarists place the instruments on the floor, the four moving into a hug before breaking apart, laughing and smiling through memories and tears.

a/n: did the last sentence even make sense idk but the kids from yesterday was playing while i was writing and they were all together and idk with frank and the patience and ray's new album and gerard's new comics i felt like it had to be written (if that makes sense)                 

fourth of july is playing now

hope you liked this one ! the final show of the tour will be most of the next chapter + a surprise with that 

grace x