things have changed for me

"Hey Dad?" Maya calls, Penny trailing her downstairs. Brendon finishes whatever he was playing on the piano in reply. Maya, walking towards him, sits next to him on the piano stool "I was wondering, while we're home for the week, could you teach me to play guitar some more?" Brendon smiles, standing from the piano and walking with Maya towards the studio "Sure kiddo." Sarah opens the front door, Bogart following her in as she places some bags down "You're teaching her to play properly then?" She smiles. Maya nods happily before being dragged outside by Brendon, the studio door closing behind them. Brendon hesitates for a moment, picking a light acoustic off the wall and sitting Maya in his lap. She laughs excitedly as Brendon shows her how to hold this guitar as opposed to her bass, teaching her a few basic chords. After a few hours Brendon steps back, Maya beginning to play by herself. He pulls his phone out, filming, as she plays the friends theme how he taught her. 

 @ brendonurie: baby steps with baby urie

Maya laughs when she gets the notification, finishing the short song. Sarah opens the door "I think Bren's talent's rubbing off on you May." She smiles, Maya laughs again "Maybe. Or maybe I'm just good at everything." She shrugs, Brendon grins "Are you good at," he thinks for a moment "Wrestling?" he jumps up, making sure Maya puts the guitar down before attacking her, tickling her. She squeals, rolling around of the floor. Sarah laughs from the doorway, filming it all as Brendon picks Maya up, holding her upside down over his shoulder and walking out of the studio towards the pool. Maya gasps "Dad, don't you dare!" She screams as he throws her in. Her feet touch the bottom and she pushes off, gasping for air "What did I do to deserve that?" She yells, swimming towards the edge of the pool where Brendon's extended his hand, waiting to pull her out. She takes his hand, but instead of climbing out pulls Brendon in with her. Brendon slips off the edge "Motherfuc-" he crashes into the water, dragging Maya down with him. Sarah laughs even more from the side, posting this video to instagram "Pool day it is then." Sarah shakes her head, smiling. Maya was swimming circles with Brendon chasing her in the pool when she realises how much her life has changed. She was the happiest she'd been in a long time. 

"Tokyo!" Sarah announced as they got in the car on sunday "I love Tokyo," she turned to Maya, who was in the backseat "You're going to love it May." Maya grins "I guess, as long as I don't pass out from jet lag again." she laughs at the memory as they drive to the airport, Brendon singing along with the radio.

"Flight 498, LAX to Tokyo is now boarding." Maya giggles nervously, Sarah smiling and holding her hand as they board "Do you wanna watch a movie?" Sarah asks when they're seated, the plane beginning to take off. Maya nods, and they decide on Paddington. Brendon listens to some new music Pete and Patrick had sent him, smiling softly as he watches Sarah and Maya talk quietly about the movie. He loved them both so much, he was so glad Maya had adjusted to their weird life so well, and he was teaching her to play shows. 

Yeah, things had changed for them. But it was okay.

Maya laughs as Brendon piggybacks her out of the hotel, holding Sarah's hand as they took to the streets of Tokyo "Where to first?" Sarah looks around before deciding "Shibuya crossing! We can go there and then work our way around the city." Maya nods her agreement as the three set out into Tokyo. 

"I think starbucks has been my favorite so far." Maya smiles as they walk through Yoyogi Park. Brendon rolls his eyes at his daughter "We're in Japan, Maya! And you're most excited about starbucks!" Maya laughs again "They had cool drinks! And, it was like a rooftop garden starbucks, perfect aesthetic for instagram." Sarah nods "The black deck matched with the green of the plants worked really well." Brendon rolls his eyes again "I can't believe you two. Where are we going from here?" Maya climbs from Brendon's back to his shoulders. Sarah passes Brendon her phone, Maya can't see what's on it. Bendon nods, now holding Maya's knees to balance her as they walk.

"So May, you gonna play the summer sonic show?" Sarah asks, looking at Brendon as she talks. Maya shrugs, looking down to Brendon "Am I?" Brendon thinks for a moment "Dallon's flying in a few hours before the show, so what if you play Miss Jackson, Gospel, and a few others if you want, and then you can just jam with me for the rest of the show." He smiles up at her and she nods happily "Sounds like a plan." They approach Meiji Shrine, surrounded by forests in the middle of a city. Maya's jaw drops slightly, Brendon and Sarah smile at each other, Sarah steps back to take a quick picture of Maya and the shrine "It's amazing." Maya breathes, Brendon laughs "We thought you'd like it." Maya nods "I love it." Sarah smiles as they walk around the shrine, Maya taking it all in. 

"Summer sonic!" Brendon yells into the mic, he's met by screams of the audience "You guys ready to meet my daughter?" They scream louder, Maya laughs into her mic "I guess that sounded a lot cooler in your head." Brendon shrugs "Yeah, in hindsight." he smiles, hugging maya around her bass "Anyway, this song's called Miss Jackson, and we think it's pretty darn cool." Brendon pulls a face at the end of his sentence. Maya laughs again, beginning to sing LOLO's part at the start, Brendon launching into the first set of lyrics.

"Out the back door, god damn-" Brendon sings before he's cut off by Maya "Language." The audience cheers even louder as Brendon grins, shaking his head and continuing the chorus. When the second chorus comes around Brendon makes a point of looking to Maya, who's standing next to Kenny playing happily "Out the back door, gosh darn, but I love her anyway."  

"We're Panic! At The Disco and we hope you guys had a great night, we did. And we'll see you real soon." Brendon hugs Maya as they walk off, Maya high-fives Sarah as her bass is put back on it's rack, ready to be flown home.

a/n: over the next few days i'll try and have at least one new chapter up every day because i'm on holidays and i've been writing a lot (tbh this might change and i might just lie on the floor for another week but hey i'm trying) thailand/holidaying is the next chapter ! how do you guys feel about maya starting school after that ? please tell me in the comments !  

also that things have changed line was cheesy as heck i sort of cringed writing it but it fit pretty well so why not

+ a huge thank you to awesomesauce2413  SecretJungle88 animedragon16 and falloutavicus for all the comments/votes/feedback it's hugely appreciated, thank you guys x

grace x