Chapter 9: "Flirtin"

3 days later

Emily's POV
I seem to have recovered over the past few days.
A lot of my friends were suggesting that I check in to our local asylum just to be safe but I knew myself that I can get better without medication.
I haven't talked to Ali a lot.
After that night at Spencer's, Ali went home and I stayed at Spencer's for the past few nights.
I think being away from her can help me sort out my feelings.
I've gotten around 50 missed calls and voice messages from Paige. I don't really want to talk to her at the moment.
She has anger issues, it's not her fault either.
She was diagnosed with many different anger disorders and the heavy medication she takes doesn't help it. It's supposed to, but she took one too many and now she can't stop.
It's truly making her anger more out of control than ever.
I care about her, but it's more of a platonic way in my head now. I don't think I can carry on being in a relationship with her especially if it puts my life at risk at times.

"Hey I'm home." I hear Spencer shout from downstairs.
I get up off the bed and jog down to her.
She's perched on the kitchen counter, eating an apple and looking quite satisfied with the taste.
"What time is it?" I ask, she laughs at me.
"What?" I ask, very confused.
"Emily where is your pants?" she giggles. I look down and realise I just hopped out of bed.
"We're all girls here." I smirk.
"Is Emily fields flirting with me?" Spencer questions, acting shocked.
"EMILY FIELDS IS FLIRTING WITH ME!" Spencer shouts, and just as she does, a door open and closes.
"Emily you-" Spencer turns around and looks at Ali who's standing awkwardly at the door.
"Oh hey Ali, didn't see ya there" smiles Spencer. Ali gives a small fake smile.
I can tell it's fake.
When she really smiles, you can see her dimples and her eyes are lit up and mysterious.
She must've heard what Spencer shouted because when she walks into the room, she gives me a small confused smile. "Actually Ali thank god you're here, I need to discuss something with both of ye." Spencer says quickly, grabbing her laptop and plonking herself onto a seat.
Ali raises her eyebrows. "Okay.." She says unsurely.
"Oh yeah and also" Spencer begins, smiling proudly.
"Emily fields was flirting with me" She says it like its the number one thing on her bucket list that she just ticked off.
Alison looks at me. I can tell she's confused.
"Don't get your hopes up Spencer." I say, my voice getting quieter.
"I've got my eyes on someone else." I say very quietly, looking directly into Alis ocean blue eyes.
I know she heard me. I don't know if I'm glad she did or not.
She maintains the eye contact and starts blushing, which causes me to let out a small laugh.
I can see Spencer looking at us uncomfortably at the corner of my eye.
"Is there something going on here that I don't know about?" Spencer says, suspicious of what just happened.
She laughs, "I'm kidding."
I sigh with relief and look over at Ali.
She looks a bit more relaxed as well.
I actually haven't talked to her about what's going on between us but I guess I should. I've sorted out my feelings and I want to take things slow.
We sit down on the couches, Spencer sitting across from me and Ali.

"Anyways, something serious is happening" Spencer says in a serious tons, her face looking frustrated.
That's the thing about Spencer, she can go from being a funny and joking girl, to a serious and focused one in seconds.
"We think A is back" She says, her voice deepening.
I don't know how to respond.
I look over at Alison, who's fiddling with her fingers.
"We?" I question, noticing the way she said the word.
"Me, Hanna and Toby." She responds quickly, I raise my eyebrows but shake off the fact that they talked about this before.
"Why do you think A is back? Cece was A, she's-" I stop myself before I could say 'dead' I look over at Ali who has her head down.
"Well, we got some messages from A, threatening ones." Spencer says, taking out her phone.
"Here" she hands me the phone.
Ali scoots closer to me so she can read the text.
I realise that I'm shaking and can't keep the phone straight.
Alison puts her hand on mine to keep the phone steady, which causes my heart to jump at the sudden feeling of her skin. Soft and warm.
I know everything that happened to each and every one of you since ye left rosewood. Watch your backs. -A
I read it a few times before turning back to Spencer.
"What does that even mean?" Alison asks, her hand still on mine.
Spencer reaches out for the phone and Alison hands it to her. The moment she parted her hand from mine, I could feel the loss of her presence.
My hand is at my side and Alis is at the same side. I take my chance and slowly join hands with her. She responds by intertwining our fingers together. I smile to myself before looking back up at Spencer.
"Look it's probably just a prank or something, but if there's any more we have to take it to the police" Spencer says.
I nod and stand up, not even realising that Ali still hasn't let go of my hand.
She definitely hasn't realised that I haven't let go of hers, because when we both stand up, Spencer looks at us weirdly.
We both look down and quickly take our hands away. I feel my cheeks flush and a small smirk escape from me.

Hey! sorry this chapter is kinda short but I needed to post one and I've been a bit busy so v sorry about that but Anyways another chapter should be coming soon!