Chapter 33: "Dust"

Alison's POV
It's been almost 24 hours since Emily went missing.
Caleb is hacking his way into the ships storage thing where they keep all of the names of the passengers, i don't know, i wasn't listening.
I just want Emily back.
I have my knees tucked into my chest, sitting on my bed.
I can't remember how long i've been like this.
The only thing going through my head is all the memories I have of me and Emily in highschool.
It's my fault.
It's my fault she was afraid to love.
It's my fault she was heartbroken.
It's my fault she was afraid to tell me how she felt.
It was my fault.
And if something happens to her now, it's my fault.
I fell asleep, i wasn't protecting her.
I just want to be in her arms,
feel her warmth surrounding me.
I want to kiss her soft lips and tell her how much I love her.
But if she gets killed, I'll never be able to look into those mysterious brown eyes ever again, I'll never be able to hear her soothing voice again.
I stare blankly at the wall, my eyes dry until a small drop forms on the edge of my eye lid, slowly running down my cheek.
I close my eyes and that's when I lose it.
I begin crying, tears streaming from both eyes.
My sobs are uncontrollable.
I bury my head in between my knees and my chest.
I hear a knock at my room door but I ignore it.
I just want to scream.
I want to scream for Emily.
I fall back on my bed and bury my face into the pillows, trying to lessen my sobs.
I have to be strong, but Emily gave me strength, and she's not here.
And it's my fault.

Arias POV
"Don't we have a spare room key?" I ask frustratedly, as Ezra stares at Alison's door like a lost puppy.
We've knocked at few times but there was no answer.
"Uh yeah hold on" He says, searching his coat pockets.
"Ah" He holds out the card. I snatch it quickly and open Alis door.
"Ali?" I say quickly.
I hear soft sobbing coming from inside the room. I look at Ezra and gesture for him to leave the room. "Get some hot chocolate from the cafe" I whisper, shutting the door after he leaves.
"Ali" I say softly, going around the corner to see her sprawled across the bed.
I sigh, and slowly walk over. I sit at the edge of her bed.
She continues sobbing, not lifting her head from the pillows.
I put my hand on her back and rub gently.
"Hey, we'll get her back" I say confidently.
Ali lifts her head and turns around so she's on her back.
She looks at me with a glint of hope in her eyes.
"I promise" I smile, taking her hand.
She gives me a small smile and squeezes my hand.

Emily's POV
"Can I have water?" I cough, looking at the girl who still hasn't told me her name.
She tosses a bottle of water towards me but I fail to catch it. I watch it roll away from me.
I stand up slowly, looking at the girl for permission to move. She nods and I quickly grab the bottle and start gulping down water.
It's not refreshingly cold, but it replenishes my thirst.
"What's your name?" I say, getting my breath back after chugging so much water.
She sighs, ruffling a hand through her hair. "Paige" She finally says, standing up and walking towards me.
I don't respond. I don't recall this girl in my memories, if I have any left for that matter. There's something about the name, all I know is that this girl isn't good news. I doubt she's actually my girlfriend.
She kneels down, placing one hand on my cheek.
She leans in closer and I start to feel her warmth breath against my skin.
I shift uncomfortably, not sure of what is going on.
"Kiss me" She whispers, looking hungrily at my lips.
"What?" I ask confused. She groans frustratedly before taking matters into her own hands and forcefully pressing her lips against mine.
I retaliate immediately, pushing her off me with all the strength I have left.
"So that's how it's going to be" She shakes her head, standing up.
"Don't you dare move" She growls, leaving through what looks like an exit.
I rub the back of my head which hasn't healed in the slightest.
I have memories. I can see them in my mind, but they're blurry, as if I need glasses in order to fully see them.
I sigh, looking down at my dirty hands that are covered in dirt and dust.
The only clear memory I have, well slightly clear, is of a blonde girl with blue eyes. I'm not sure who she is, or what she has to do with me, but she's the only recognisable memory I have.
She has a sweet voice, almost like a song bird and a devious smile that for some reason, i feel in love with.

Alison's POV
"This way!" Caleb says, quickly walking through the corridors of the ship.
He showed up at my room urgently, announcing he found out where Emily is.
I follow close behind him with Aria to my right and Spencer, Mona, Hanna and Ezra behind us.
"This might be dangerous" Caleb says, turning his head slightly to look at me.
"Maybe only a few of us should go in" He looks forward again, focused on getting to the destination as quickly as possible.
"I'm coming." I say without hesitation. He nods, knowing there's no point arguing.
"Guys stay around this area, we'll text you where to meet us," Caleb says, coming to a stop at the corner.
They nod, looking between me and Caleb.
Hanna hugs Caleb tightly, and Spencer and Aria hug me quickly before letting go. I nod at Mona and Ezra and they both give us an encouraging smile.
I look at Caleb, and he squeezes my shoulders before beginning to walk around the corner.
I walk beside him, my heart racing a million miles per hour.
He comes to a stop outside a metal door.
"This is it" He says, his voice lowering down to a whisper.
He starts picking the lock and I look left and right, making sure no one stumbles across us trying to break in. He looks up at me before opening the door.

It's dark and the only source of light is coming from the opened door.
I hear shuffling coming from the corner of the room. "Caleb, light" I say quickly, gesturing for him to turn on the torch.
He switches it on and points to the corner.
My heart breaks.
Emily is sitting in the corner with her knees tucked tightly up to her chest.
Her hair is a mess and she's covered in dust and dirt.
"Oh my god Emily" I sigh, rushing over to her side. She doesn't say anything, but from her facial expression I can tell she's frightened.
"Don't worry you're safe now." Caleb reassures her, bending down to help her up.
"Quick before whoever owns this place comes back" I say, knowing that whoever did this to Emily could walk in at any moment.
Emily keeps her head low and doesn't say anything.
I presume it's from shock.
"Take her back to the room" I say to Caleb who's leading Emily out of the room.
I put Emily's arm around my neck for extra support. She takes low, shallow breaths, not making eye contact with me or Caleb.
What happened to her?

When we make it to our room, I quickly get a set of clothes from the dresser and lay it down beside her.
"Emily look at me" I manage to say, kneeling in front of her as she sits on the bed.
She looks up.
Her eyes are empty, her facial expression is blank.
She opens her mouth to speak, her words leaving her lips slowly.
"Who are you?"