Chapter 29: "Trouble In Paradise"

Emily's POV
"Uh, hey Em! Let's go check out the gift shop!" Spencer says quickly, grabbing my arm and dragging me away. "Okay I guess" I say submissively. There's no point arguing. I'm not sure why she took me away so quickly. I turn around quickly and smile at Ali, who's watching Spencer drag me away. She responds with a concerned look but smiles.
I shrug my shoulders and follow Spencer to the gift shop.

She doesn't look behind at me or speak, she just continues dragging me through the ship.  When we make it to the shop I grab her arm and bring her to a halt.
"What's wrong?" I ask, knowing that something isn't right about what just happened.
Spencer hesitates and looks around. "Uh I just" She struggles to find her words but her face relieves and she sits down on a couch next to the shop. "I just really need advice" She says, sounding honest. "Really? What kind of advice?" I ask, sitting down next to spencer. "Relationship advice." She looks down nervously at her hands.
"And you're coming to the lesbian of all people?" I laugh jokingly. "I'm kidding, whats wrong?"
"I have spoken to toby only once since i've gotten back," She admits, twisting her fingers around the loose strings of her hoody. "Oh, what did he say?" I ask.
"I went into the brew, he was there, he said hi, i said hi, and then he left" She sighs, looking up at me with worried eyes.
"I'm not sure what to do" She smiles and shakes her head. I place my hand on her arm and she smiles at me. "Don't worry about what's happening in Rosewood, this is a holiday. Come on let's go have some fun." I laugh, standing up and taking spencer's hand.
That's when both of our phones vibrate.
I look at spencer, she looks at me.

Meet at my room (235). ASAP -Ali

Alison's POV
*20 minutes earlier*
I gesture for Spencer to turn around and when she does I get her to get emily away.
I don't want her to see what I'm about to do.
I stand tall and keep my head up as i start to confidently walk towards Paige.
My fear of Paige washes away with every stride.
She's leaning over the railing, and all I can think about is how easy it would be to push her off.
"Nice view, huh?" I say slyly. Paige doesn't turn, instead she sighs. "I never liked the colour of the ocean," She says, turning her head to look at me. "It reminds me of someone I don't particularly get along with" She looks into my eyes. "Their eyes, ocean blue."
She pushes back from the railing and turns to face me. "That's the thing about the ocean, most people see it as a calm and beautiful part of the world," She steps closer to me. "But there's people like me, who see the real side of the ocean," Her tone of voice changes to a vicious whisper. "Dangerous, stormy, capable of murder" She smiles, going back to the railing.
"Why are you here Paige?" I ask defensively. I feel vulnerable. Really vulnerable.
Usually in situations like this I can build up the wall I had in high school.
Except now when I build it, there's always a few bricks missing.
"I got a ticket," She says sarcastically. I roll my eyes, stepping closer to her.
"If you go anywhere near emily, Paige I swear to God-" I grit my teeth, leaning towards her.
"I didn't even know Emily was here," She shrugs her shoulders, looking back out at the ocean.
"Have a nice evening Alison" She says slowly.
I don't say anything. I turn and rejoin the others.
"We need to talk, privately" I say quietly. They look at each other but nod in unison.
"Should I tell the others?" Says Aria, a worried look washing over her.
"Not yet," I walk quickly, constantly looking behind to make sure Ezra and Aria are catching up.
"Ezra, what is my room number?" I ask without looking behind me.
"235, I have the key" He says, his breathing is quick.

Once we make it to the room, I open the door for Aria and Ezra to go in before looking left and right and closing it behind me.
"I saw Paige, what happened?" Aria says once the door is shut.
I tell them the gist of what happened, leaving out the part about what she was saying about the ocean.
"It isn't a coincidence that Paige happened to have tickets to the exact same cruise we won tickets for." Ezra says, putting his fingers through his hair.
"You won 10 tickets right?" I say, sitting down next to Aria to try and figure out what's happening.
"Yeah I had 2 left over, also have any of ye seen mona? She said she would be late getting on board but now the ship has set sail Im not sure if she made it," Ezra says worryingly, looking out the porthole.
"I'll text Hanna and see if she's seen her, but let's focus on this for the moment" Aria says, standing up to pace around the room.
"Where are the 2 spare tickets?" I say, my tone becoming even more serious, if that was possible.
"I'm pretty sure I just left them on my desk. I didn't think about it at the time" Ezra sighs, sitting down on a chair and putting his head in his hands.
"If Emily gets hurt it's my fault." He says quietly, probably to himself but both me and aria heard him.
"Hey ezra, don't you dare say that, look at me" Aria bends down in front of him, placing her hands on his.
"It isn't your fault. And we'll keep Emily safe, right Ali?" Aria says, looking at me, hope in her eyes.
"Of course" I say, reassuringly.
But the only problem is that, will there be any possible way to keep Emily safe from harm?
Because that's the thing about hope;
it breathes eternal misery.