[1] Bring the Rain

ATTENTION: I have finally began a rewrite 10 years later! Please do go to my profile and give some feedback, thank you so much!

I made my way up the drive, there was huge wrought iron gate blocking my entrance to the estate. I was standing in the now pouring rain, I have been looking for a place to rent all day and this was my last stop before I would head back to the dingy motel I have been staying in the last few nights.

I couldn't find any way to communicate with the house. Ready to leave, I slowly turned and started back down the now slick slope I had climbed not five minutes ago. I was soaking wet, and couldn't get my footing right. My ankle twisted, letting out a loud shriek of pain as I fell backwards. Before I hit the ground a pair of strong arms grabbed me, lifting me up bridal style. I let a small yelp out of surprise as he turned me back to the gate.

There standing in front of us was a petite woman holding an umbrella, "Chloe Chase?"

I looked at the man that was holding me then back at the woman, "Double C that's me," I said while laughing nervously and using my thumbs to point at myself.

The woman simply nodded then spoke to the man, "Bring her up to the house."

"Whoa, buddy. I can walk," I looked from the guy to the woman.

The woman walked up to me, her eyes locked on mine, she lifted her hand to my right ankle and gave it a small squeeze.  A strong pain shot up my calf as I tried to suppress the scream building up in my throat.

She nodded to the man once more, then turned and headed through the gate that I must not have heard open through the downfall of rain.

The guy followed along, keeping at least two feet behind her, up the long drive to the house, "You seem strong do you work out?"

He looked at me with a look of bewilderment, laughing I continued, "Chill dude, I'm just trying to make conversation. I mean, you swept me off my feet and I don't even know your name."

He grunted and looked ahead, not giving his name.

"Well, my name is Chloe," I gave him an intense stare hoping to wear him down. After what felt like forever, which was really only about twenty steps I gave up. With a heavy sigh I decided to let it go.

The rain pelting on my forehead was driving me insane, as I looked around the grounds. There was a large lawn considering the amount of tree's that littered the area around the house. Looking over his shoulder at the way we had come from, I noticed that there was a great view of the town from up here. The town was illuminated by lights, but there were no lights around here. The only light was coming from the crescent moon above us.

I turned my head back to the direction we were headed to see that we were only about ten feet away from the main house. From the road the house didn't seem so large, what with the trees surrounding it you could barely get a clear view of it. But from where I was the view was magnificent.

The house looked to be around three stories; it had a great Gothic structure to it. While at the same time it held an ominous feel that both scared and intrigued me. The rain wasn't letting up, if anything it seemed to be getting worse. I could barely see the house other than its dark looming figure that seemed to hover above me.

We were finally in front of the house, all that stood between us and the front door was a set of stairs. As the man walked up the stairs my foot hit the banister forcing my back to arch in pain. I let out the scream that I had denied earlier. The pain much worse now, the man hurried inside as the woman held the door open.

Once we were inside the man rushed me to a bench that sat on the side of a large staircase. The hallway it sat in was dark and dreary. A place that didn't look at all welcoming compared to the other side of the staircase that was illuminated with light ad so airy.

Not wanting to think about it any longer I turned my attention to the lady in front of me and the man beside her who had carried me in. Looking at both of their faces sent an awkward shiver down my spine so again I averted my attention elsewhere. To my ankle.

I bent down to caress it to find that it had swelled up quite a bit. I could feel their eyes on me and right then I decided that this awkward silence just won't due.

I finally resolved to look back up at them, "Could I maybe get some ice?"

"Oh, but of course," the lady responded while gesturing for the man to go get it.

He nodded and walked off. I watched him leave, then turned to the lady, "Not that I'm not grateful, but who are you?"

"Well, Miss Chase my name is Samantha," she spoke in such a tone that made me feel like she was my grandmother, but in actuality she looked around twenty, only a year or so older then me.

"Call me Chloe," I said giving her what I hoped was a genuine smile. I had an uneasy feeling about this place, I didn't know how to react.

The man had returned with ice, he no longer wore his jacket, so I could see how ripped he really was. My first thought was that he was middle aged maybe forty but now seeing him in better lighting he looked to be in his mid twenties.

He leaned down and placed the ice on my ankle, he then proceeded to turn my ankle making me wince and brace myself on the bench, "It isn't broken, just a small sprain."

Once my hand was securing the ice to my ankle he stood, I seen Samantha give him a look before he headed for the stairs, "Wait, wont you tell me your name?" Instead of answering he continued on up the stairs not looking back.

"That is James, Head of Security here at Clark Manor," Samantha said in a stern voice.

Before I could ask her any more questions, she leaned in and took my hand pulling me to my feel, she held up the weight of my right side and pulled me toward the brighter lit doorway leading into what looked like a sitting room. There was no TV only a couch and two chairs.

She set me down in one of the chairs, "Rest for a moment, I'll be right back. I just need to retrieve a few things."

I simply nodded as she headed deeper into the house, and out of sight.

Five minutes later she came back with a mug with steaming contents, "Here drink this."

I took it from her, "What is it?"

She smiled, "Hot chocolate."

I was reluctant to oblige but seeing as I was sapping wet and freezing I took a small sip. It was just the right temperature, and I ended up chugging it down in about two seconds flat.

Samantha reached out for the empty mug as my eye lids began to get heavier and heavier.

My last coherent thought was; Oh shit!