[7] A Girl's Best Friend

Trace was standing now and had taken at least two feet away from me and my bed.

"Companion? You don't mean I'm going to turn into a werewolf do you?"

He shook his head no as he started pacing the length of my room.

"Then what?!" I almost yelled but the distressed look on his face stopped me.

"Okay," he said facing me as if he just came up with a brilliant explanation. "You know how they say dogs are man's best friends?"

I nodded slowly in fear of the point.

"Well, I'm your new best friend."

I jumped up, "Oh, no. I am not even going to play this game. I played the vampire with a soul game, the wolf took a chunk out of my thigh game, and the only sane person in this house is now a witch game. I am not playing for keeps."

"Well, too bad. Like I said, whether you like it or not I'm your companion."

"No," I said firmly with my arms crossed over my chest.

I heard a growl growing in his chest as his hands turned into fists. Right before my eyes he was the wolf that had attacked me.

He started stalking toward me, with his teeth showing.

I tried to back away from the beast at foot. But my bed stopped me and the next thing I knew I was on my back and Trace was now standing over me on the bed.

Trace, please, get off of me. You're scaring me."

His nose got closer and closer to my face. To the point that I thought he was going to bite me, again. Tears were streaming down my face. The cheek that Julian had slapped was now burning from the tightness of my skin and the salt from my tears, and a wolf was standing over me ready for a midnight snack.