[19] Dancing With the Beast

My hearing picked up what I failed to see. I could hear Julian’s breathing beside me as he tried to control it. Either his eyes were shut or his back was to me because there was no red light being emanated.

“Julian?” I whispered in fear of getting the wrong persons attention.

All signs of life were gone now. He had stopped breathing, leaving me even more scared. I was virtually alone.

I tried to remember where the stairs were that lead to the door but before I could move forward I felt something strike me in the stomach forcing me back until my back hit a counter back against the wall.

Something soon registered within me. Jordan was not human.

I let my body slide down to the floor hoping to conceal myself to whoever was there.

But it didn’t help any. I could feel hot breath on my face. It wasn’t Julian that much I knew.

Soon the breath left and was replaced with a soft flick of a tongue on my cheek.

Trace.

Everything happened so fast. I still couldn’t see anything but the noise was enough to confirm that that was a huge fight going on.

I felt someone grip my arm and pull me to my feet. The faint glow of red gave Julian away. It shocked me to see how light they were. The brighter they were usually was a telltale sign that he was pissed but they were barely bright enough to see.

“We’re getting out of here,” he whispered in my ear.

“What about Trace?”

“He can take care of himself,” he growled as he dragged me up the stairs. His eyes flashed red before calming again.

He was trying not to draw attention to us as we made our way outside in the now pouring rain.

The water splashed around us as we ran through puddles. When we got to the SUV that had brought me here my heart all but stopped. There were three lifeless bodies. All of which were torn limb from limb.

I instantly stopped following Julian. He was a few feet ahead of me before he realized I had stopped moving.

“What are you doing? Let’s go,” he took one step towards me then stopped.

Fear was radiating through me and no doubt he could see it in my eyes.

“Chloe, they would have killed you.”

“Yea?” my voice cracked involuntarily. “What about you, huh? You don’t plan on killing me?”

His eyes were no longer calm. He was pissed as he took three long strides toward me until he was almost nose to nose with me.

“Don’t you dare compare me to these mongrels.” Each word seemed to drip with venom.

I tried taking a step back but he grabbed hold of both of my wrists. I could feel electricity course up my arms as I tried to get a grip on my emotions and thoughts. But it wasn’t working, the body parts that littered the ground around us.

***

 When I opened my eyes, I was flooded with relief as I took in my room.  It was short lived because when I turned over I was greeted by a miniature werewolf.

“Ahh,” I cried out as I fell out of bed onto the solid wood floor.

“Woof,” the dog yelped as it jumped from the bed and landed on my stomach.

“You have got to be kidding me,” I mumbled as I rolled over, pushed him off while trying to recapture my breath.

I heard a soft chuckle from across the room, “Are you seriously afraid of a puppy?”