[24] Concrete Jungle

My first few days back in my mother’s home went uneventful. She hadn’t been forcing anything on me and gave me space as I kept to myself. I have been sleeping a good amount of the time, only leaving my room for food.

Everything seemed to be going fine up to the point my mother decided to spring into action.

“Sweetie?” She met me in the kitchen while I searched the refrigerated.

“Mmm?” I mumbled, not exactly listening.

“I’m having someone over for dinner tonight. Do you think you can make yourself presentable and join us?”

I shut the door and turned to face here with the bowl of left over spaghetti in my hand, “Who?”

“Jeremy,” she mumbled, looking away.

“Mom!” I hissed, as I dropped the bowl on the island across from me.

“He has missed you terribly, Chloe. Give him a chance. Please, for me?”

“We’re not getting back together,” I warned.

“Sweetie, just see what happens. Four years is not something you can just throw away.”

I can and I did, I thought as I grabbed the bowl back up and walked over to the cupboard to grab a plate.

“Whatever, mom,” I mumbled, refusing to face her again.

“Be ready by seven, okay?”

I sighed as she left the room without waiting for a reply. I couldn’t help but think about how dinner was always served by six at the manor.

I put the plate in the microwave as I tried to shake all thoughts of Julian and the others. It was impossible. I was flooded with thoughts by day and drowned by memories and dreams by night. There was no running, nor hiding from it.

Part of me argued that none of it had happened. That I had imagined it all. The other part argued back harder. When I tried to ignore my feelings and forget it all, a strong wave of pain would radiate throughout my chest.

The connection between Trace and me was stronger than ever. Never allowing me to forget about him for a second.

I’ve been tempted to call the manor and see how everyone has been in the past week since I’ve been gone but I stopped myself each time.

I trudged my way back to my room forgetting the plate in the microwave. I wasn’t hungry anymore.

As I lay back on my bed, I pulled out my MP3 player and turned it all the way up. Allowing the music to drown out all of the silence around me.

I fell asleep within minutes of my head hitting the pillow, the music playing as background music to my dream.

“You’ll never forget us as long as you stay locked in your room all day,” Julian growled into my ear as I tried my best to turn toward him.

He wouldn’t allow it. He never allowed it. Every minute I spent sleeping was spent arguing with Julian. More with his voice as it haunted me, never allowing me to see his face.

My subconscious was killing me every second I slept. I knew that if I wanted to I could lose them all for good. Ignore the ache within and live my life but this wasn’t my life anymore.

To be honest I don’t think it was ever to begin with.

“Chloe, you had no life at the manor. You weren’t happy. Give it up, it’s over,” he kept growling in my ear.

Chills ran down my spine as I felt the sensation of fingertips running down the center of my back.

I never had the nerve to speak. My voice wasn’t my own when I was asleep but he always seemed to know what I was thinking.