[29] Badass Surprise

I tried calling Julian’s number but it went to voicemail after just one ring.

“Julian Clark, I swear to God, if you do anything stupid in the big apple...” I would always get cut off before I could finish my threat.

“Chloe, its fine. He just needs to find the device before it gets into the wrong hands,” Samantha attempted to sooth.

“He has a  temper, if Je-” I stopped as she eyed me with suspicion.

“Chloe, do you know where the device is?”

“I don’t know where it is… per say. I just don’t want drama!” I huffed.

She didn’t buy it but she wasn’t pushing it, “It’ll be fine, Chloe. Julian is a professional.”

I gave her a look and we both laughed. After a while we went to a comfortable silence that lasted well into the evening until we were called in for supper.

It was a little odd, Julian not being there at the other end of the table. I actually missed him, a lot.

I lay in bed and petted Trace as he glared at me with each sigh. It was that obvious. I really missed him and he had only been gone not even twelve hours.

My phone shrilled from beside me on the bedside table. Another thing I was granted once I returned with my own freewill.

 “It’s Julian,” I cried, making Trace jump. He started growling, his fur standing up on end. “Sorry,” I whispered apologetically before answering. “Hello?!”

Trace rolled his eyes and jumped from the bed, leaving the room.

“Chloe?”

“No, it’s Santa Claus,” I couldn’t help but snap. “You were supposed to call when your flight landed.”

“Was I?” he ignored my sarcasm. “Sorry, time got away from me.”

“I’ll tell you what’ll get away from you,” I mumbled.

“I’m sorry, I don’t think I heard you quit right, what’d you say?” he asked. I could tell he was giving me a second chance at a different response.

“Nothing,” I replied flatly.

“That’s what I thought. Now be a good little human and stay out of trouble,” he was about to hang up.

“Julian, wait!”

He let out a long breath before saying, “What?”

He was frustrated with me, he must’ve gotten my voicemails…