Finale - Part III

This chapter was inspired by the song Tomorrow's Way by YUI.
God the song moved me too much!
I kept on crying!!!

------------

You'll never really know when your time is up. That's why I remain as her friend as long as she's happy with it. I was an idiot.. Falling for Koutaru was never an accident. I loved her. But she was too dense about it.

Let's rewind time by one year ago..

It was Spring Festival. The three of us; Hajime, Koutaru, and I-- did lots of things to kill the boredom that's been following us. Oftentimes, Koutaru would take a time out.

We decided not to-- both Hajime and I.

"Eh?! Are you two hyperbolic idiots serious!? My ankles are killing me!!!"

"Come on! Don't be a cry baby, Araki! Let's just pretend that today's Riko's last day! He he.. ACK! Why!?" I laughed at the scene. Araki gritted her teeth as she stomps on Hajime's foot. I pointed a finger at them, clutching my aching tummy. "Y-You guys looked like old couples!! Hahaha!! Haha... Ha.."

My laughter died down as I realize what I've said. Hajime knew that I like Koutaru, too. Him as well likes her.

We didn't argue about it. Just considered is as a challenge whoever makes her like either of the two of us back.

"Whoa, what's up? Something wrong you two?"

it's because you're too dense...

"If only.." I blurted out, unknowingly.

Spring Festival takes up the whole day, which means we get to enjoy one (awkward) whole day. Okay, sure I'd make a move when Hajime's not around but guess what?
She's just too dense! What the hell!

"How will I make her like me back?"
Surprisingly, I was alone sitting on a bench. The two were roaming around on their own within the festival's premises, while here I am with an aching stomach for goodness sake. I sigh.

I waited for either of them to return but I guess this cat beside me was here to company me while they're gone. I looked at it with bored red eyes. "Hey..."

Now I'm begging to think that they might be...

"NOOOO!!! DON'T!!! THINK!!! NEGATIVE!!! THOUGHTS!!! THEY'RE!!! NOT!!! TOGETHER!!! BONDING!!! WHILE!!! I'M!!! HERE!!! HAVING!!! STOMACH!!! TROUBLES!!!"

The cat ran away as I calm down. Thoughts of Hajime... and Araki together.. Isn't helping me.
I need some confidence when they come back. Hopefully, I'll be able to tell her. Or I shouldn't?

"Sorry I took so long!"

Took you long to realize? Nah..

I watch every step Araki takes, moving forward in slow motion.. Her hair seems to fit her figure, even though she's a girl in my sight, her appearance as a boy was enough for me to have confidence in myself. Yosh!

Tell her how you feel.

Right here. Right now.

"Araki, there's something--"

She sat right next to me by the bench with a gloomy aura. "S-Somthing wrong?" I worriedly asked her.
But she just shook her head with a sob. God, please don't.

Thats when I saw a tear flow down her cheek. I noticed that she's been clutching her shirt.

People started to spread as the time flies by so fast. I didn't even noticed the sky's starting to get dim. Thats when I gathered up the guts to confess. I opened my mouth. "Araki, I--"

"The truth is, Hajime told me that.. He liked me." My eyes widened, mouth totally shut. I did NOT expect that.

Her face fell when she said that. Ahhhhhhhhh!!! Why now!? Bakajime!
How will I tell her the same thing when she's this upset!?

But instead of crying, and as ng what she will do then, Araki just chuckled.

She then faced me with her usual closed eye smile and her boy hairstyle, fits her perfectly. "That's unexpected." She said with a chuckle.

Lightbulb!

I faced her with a cat's face and an imaginary tail, swaying side by side. "You know.. Hajime told me something."

"What is it?"

"C'mere."

Araki scooted her ear closer, and closer, and closer till I breathed out. "It's a secret~"

"EH!? Oh come on! Tell me! He just friggin confessed y'know! I don't know what I'll say! Riko!!!"

"Alright! Alright! Stop shaking my shoulders, I'm getting dizzy! Sheesh!" On cue, she stops from shaking me when she was insisting and sit in a comfortable way.
Her eyes that were glimmering got me alarmed and heat began to rise from my cheeks. Now it might be the same color as my eyes..

If I told her now, this instant she'd freak out again..
And I don't want to see her like that again. Even if it was for thirty minutes, no way.

Taking a deep breath, she rose a brow.

Not all confessions were said immediately, others needed some time to rethink if they really loved that person. Maybe what I feel about Araki isn't love yet.. Infatuation, maybe?

"If I were to die, will you help me confess to the person that Hajime likes?"

"But he said he liked me.." Araki frowned once again. I just shook my head at her. "No, you're not the only one. That guy's weird for liking two girls at the same time, but hear 'em out. Hajime does like you, but you still haven't guessed who I like."
With the end of that, I smirked.

She's dense.. And I'm thankful for that. If she were to find out that we like her, I don't know.

"Hmm.." Araki placed an index finger on her chin as she look up, noticing that the sky was covered with fireworks. A big bang here, and a faint bang from the distance. A perfect sight.

"I know. I'll help you with Hajime to confess his love, if you promise to help me find a guy that's right for me. Someone... honest," Me. "Someone who would always care for me," Pick me. "Someone who could actually give me the happiness I needed for a lifetime." I'll even give you my own happiness if that's possible.

I nodded. As the fireworks continued, we both saw Hajime who bought two apple candy. "So! What's up?"

"Fireworks." I snickered.

"Haha, very funny, you guys."

What Hajime didn't knew, that both Araki and I would steal a short glance at each other and chuckle.

A promise is a promise. You can break it, but it will always be there.

I'm so sorry, Araki.