six

he won't be there and that's precisely what i want

jimin;

when i woke up, i could hear the clinking of pans and smell smoke.

someone is coming over.

mom isn't the best cook, but she tries really hard, which usually results in something half-burnt or completely soggy. so we usually just order takeout or she makes me cook. and the only thing i can decently make is ramen. or sometimes toast.

i get up and walk down the hall to see what my mother is up to. when she hears me walk in, she glances up from the stove and gives me a smile.

"hey chim," she greets. i roll my eyes at the nickname she gave me when i was young and sit at the breakfast bar. "so, are you gonna tell me what all that was a few hours ago?" she asks, lowering the heat on the stove and turning to face me completely.

"are you gonna tell me who you're cooking for?" i ask and raise an eyebrow at her.

she scoffs, "don't avoid the question, boy."

"don't avoid my question, eomma," i retaliate.

"fine. i have someone coming over tonight. by the way, do you have any friends you could go hang out with for dinner?" mom asks.

"what? why?" i ask, before it clicks. then my face softens,
"oh... u-um, sure. i mean, i'm sure i could call up someone and stay over."

she nods with a grateful smile before turning back to the pot on the stove. i exit the room, the topic directed at me completely forgotten, but now there's a new worry in my head.

my mom is dating again?

she hasn't had a date since dad.... well, left. she might have met a few guys at some bars but never took it any further than letting them buy her a drink. but i only know that, because my mother tells me everything.

so why didn't she tell me about this guy?

i sigh, walking out the apartment door after slipping my shoes on and go straight towards the stairs. i know that it's past three in the afternoon so he won't be here, but that's precisely what i want. i sit on the edge that he usually sits at, and dangle my feet over the side. i gulp, glancing down. it's a pretty tall apartment building.

i close my eyes to try and just enjoy the breeze blowing by, but that peacefulness ends when i hear footsteps approaching behind me.