twenty three

the word love doesn't even explain how much i care

third person;

jungkook arrives at the park household about ten minutes after taehyung left. (jimin had explained to taehyung that he should take the back way home in case there was a chance he could run into jungkook.) when jimin opens the door, he finds it hard to smile back at the smirking boy in front of him.

"hello jimin!" jungkook exclaims as the older boy lets him into the apartment.

"so, why'd you want to come over? there's still like three hours until my party. hell, the apartment's not even set up yet," jimin says, sitting on his couch.

jungkook shrugs, throwing himself beside jimin. "i dunno... i just wanted to.. to talk, i guess," he mutters.

"about what?"

"taehyung," he sighs.

"what about him?" jimin asks skeptically. he's never doubted his best friend so much before.

"i don't-- he kinda just-- well," the younger pauses, taking a deep breath. "he's been acting a bit weird lately."

"what do you mean by weird?" jimin questions, turning to fully face the younger lad.

jungkook lowers his head a little, "he's just been super clingy all of a sudden-- and don't get me wrong, clingy isn't bad, i have nothing against that. and he's always been clingy around me, ever since we met. but it's just been worse in the past week. like-- this never used to happen before but-- last week, we were taking a walk around the city and whenever we'd pass a teen clothing store or whatever he'd grab onto my arm and tug me close. i'm not sure if it was jealousy or insecurity, but whatever it was.. it just.. it wasn't taehyung-esque, i guess."

"i guess that makes sense," jimin nods. "is that all? just some clinginess?"

jungkook shakes his head. "no, earlier today i was in the bathroom and i heard footsteps outside the door. i knew it was taehyung, obviously, unless someone else broke in-- but anyway, i heard him walk all the way to the front door before slamming it shut," he explains. "jimin, taehyung never leaves without letting me know, let alone does he ever slam the door-- hell he doesn't even bother to even close his door half the time!" jungkook groans, throwing his head into his hands. "i hate this.. he's been so weird and i just... i don't want him angry at me or upset about something else, but i just don't know what to do!"

jimin places his hand on jungkook's shoulder. "just talk to him; talk to him tonight at my party. i can keep everyone occupied with a game or whatever and you just subtly drag taehyung away so you can talk privately," he suggests. "look, don't tell him i told you this, but he was here just about ten minutes before you showed up. he was crying and heartbroken about hearing you on the phone with someone and he may have heard the wrong thing or taken something the wrong way, but.." he pauses, "i really shouldn't tell you this," he whispers, "but he thinks you don't have any real romantic feelings for him."

"w-what? how could he think such a thing? and what phone call did he--" jungkook's eyes widen, "oh."

"'oh?' 'oh,' what?" jimin asks.

"i-i was talking to my mom on the phone... she asked how everything was going-- she only calls once every month-- and i explained that i had reunited with you. she of course knew about my feelings from back then, so she asked how i was doing," the young boy recollects.

"what did you tell her?" jimin quizzes.

"this is probably where taehyung listened in and got the wrong idea," jungkook sighs, running a hand through his messy brown hair. "i told her that i had found someone and that, yes, i do still love you. taehyung must have missed this part because right after i told her that even though i still love you, it isn't as strong anymore, and it's seriously not as strong as what i feel for my new boyfriend."

"jungkook?"

"yeah?" the younger looks up.

"do you love taehyung?" jimin asks.

"i... i want to say yes, so, so bad. but it just.. it just doesn't fit what i feel. i mean it's not like i don't like him at all, no. it's more like.. an indescribable feeling. like, 'love' just doesn't even explain how much i care for him," jungkook says, slightly smiling.

"there," jimin cuts in. "right there, all of that that you just said to me, that's what you need to tell taehyung tonight."

"oh.. uh, okay," jungkook fidgets.

"it'll be fine, kookie. i mean, you confessed to me and did fine," jimin shrugs.

"yeah, but that was you! and i didn't know what i was feeling, i just mixed up platonic and romantic feelings!" the younger boy laughs dryly.

"then confessing to taehyung should be easier. you're already dating him, number one. number two, you practically know he likes you back, and number three, you're for-fucking-sure of your feelings this time. you just don't have a set word to describe them. oh! and number four: if you could say all of that about taehyung to me, you should be able to say it all to him."

"thanks, hyung," jungkook smiles gratefully.

"no prob. now, let's start getting ready for this party, i'm behind and need some help," the older boy stands, offering a hand to the younger.

they both head to the kitchen and begin setting out drinks and snacks. jimin puts out napkins and paper cups while jungkook hangs the streamers.

("i should do it, it's my party; it's my birthday!"

"hyung, you can barely even reach the sink in the bathroom, what makes you think you can hang these from the ceiling?"

"i really hate you.")

after another hour passes, they finish decorating and begin readying themselves for the party.

and both were assured that it was gonna be way better than 90s kids' show reruns.

---
a/n: pls keep in mind that i love you and that the next chapter might make you question that

but dw i really do