nine

Music:
Only The Young - Taylor Swift

***

We all walked back to the beach and set up was a water slide with table at the bottom.
Shawn spoke up. "As the girls won capture the flag they get a head start."
I had no idea what was going on. I turned to Sid. "What's going on?"
"We're playing flip cup but each player has to slide down the water slide first and as soon as they drink what's in their cup and flip it onto the table the next person can go."
I took my top and shorts off and then the game started. Sid was first for our team, she ran and jumped onto the slide, once she reached the bottom she downed her drink and then flipped her cup. Her cup landed in one and then it was the next persons turn.
Our team were quick so soon it was my turn. I jumped onto the slide and slid down it quicker than I expected. I grabbed my cup and downed the cheap beer that was inside. When I placed my cup on the table Shawn had made his way and began to down his drink.
Going up against Shawn made me want to win more but I couldn't flip my cup. After several attempts I managed to flip it signalling for the next person to go but I soon realised that Shawn flipped his cup at the exact same time making us equal.
We stood out of the way for the next people and watched.

***

The last two players were up and everyone's eyes were on them. Jake was playing for the boys and downed his drink quicker than us but he struggled to flip it.
Lyndsey was up for the girls and managed to flip her cup seconds before Jake making us the winners.
All the girls cheered and then the real celebrations began.

***

It wasn't long before people started going in the water. Sid came over and tried to get me to go in but I refused.
I sat on the beach watching everyone.
As I sat watching everyone in the water splashing around and having fun I couldn't get the thought of someone getting hurt or drowning out of my head so I decided to go for a walk to clear my head.
I kept thinking its been 4 years, you can do this, but all I wanted to do was go home.
I needed to prove to myself that I could go to the beach without getting paranoid.

I arrived back on the beach and almost everyone was in the water.
I sat back down and took a deep breath. I rested my head in my hands to try and calm myself down.
I closed my eyes for a few minutes before I heard someone approach me.
I looked up and saw Lyndsey.
"Yes?" I knew it wouldn't be long before she spoke to me again.
"I heard about your little stunt with Shawn." she crossed her arms.
"So?" We won the game why is she complaining?
"I thought I told you to back off." She said in the most annoying bitchy voice.
"You did but it was part of the game Lyndsey, I made a distraction which helped us win. You should be thanking me."
"If that's what you call it." She raised her eyebrows in disapproval.
"And what's that supposed to mean?"
I'm not in the mood to hear her pathetic excuses just to confront me.
"It means you need to stop being a little slut and get your skanky ass away from Shawn." If she calls me a slut one more time I swear I will hit her.
"You wanna throw any more insults at me while you're here?"
She leant down and got close to my face. "I won't say it again, back off!"
She stormed off.
"What a bitch." I said to myself.
I put my head back in my hands and took a beep breath. My night couldn't get any worse. Just as that thought left my mind I heard someone else approached me.
"Hey England."
I spoke too soon.
I looked up. "What do you want Shawn?" I rubbed my eyes and rested my hands on the sand.
"Are you coming in the water?"
I could see Lyndsey staring right at me in the corner of my eye.
"No."
"Come on."
"I'm not going in."
"Yes you are."" He grabbed my hand and tried to pull me up.
"Shawn stop! I don't want to go in."
I got up and tried to walk away.
Suddenly  he grabbed my waist and lifted me up.
I grabbed his hands and tried to push them off me but his grip was too tight.
I kicked my legs as fast as I could to try and stop him from getting any closer to the water but it didn't work.
"Shawn put me down." I kept hitting his hands trying to get him to release me.
He ignored me and carried on walking.
"Shawn I'm not joking put me down!" I raised my voice
"Nope you're coming in the water." He tightened his grip.
I started to panic as the cold water hit my feet "Please put me down!"
He ignored me and dropped me straight into the water.
I quickly stood up and tried to speak but words wouldn't come out of my mouth.
My body froze. I heard Sid shout my name and everyone turned to look at me.
"Are you ok?" Shawn asked.
A rush of panic hit me and I couldn't breathe properly. I started to hyperventilate.
"Jazz are you okay?" Sid quickly swam towards me.
My heart felt like it was going to beat out of my chest. She kept trying to talk to me but I couldn't stop panicking. She put her arm around me and walked me out of the water.
We sat on the sand, she told me to put my head inbetween my legs and slowly breathe in and out.
I eventually calmed down and caught my breath back.
"Let's go home." I agreed and we both stood up.
Before we could leave Shawn came running up to us. "Jazz, I'm sorry."
"Not now Shawn, you've done enough." Sid snapped at him.
"Please listen to me." He kept following us.
I could feel a lump form in my throat and my eyes began to tear up.
I turned around  to face him. "I said I didn't want to go in." I wiped my eyes and looked around, everyone is watching.
"Jazz..." He tried touch my arm so I pulled it away.