forty seven

After Liam's wedding and the release of Shawn's EP I had to focus on my exams. I completed all my performance exams before Christmas so all the exams I had left to complete were my regular subjects. Me and Tom kept in touch and met up every week to revise together. I decided to only go home every fortnight so I could focus on my revision. Shawn wasn't too happy but he soon realised that it meant he could focus on his school work aswell. I grabbed my books and met Tom in the library at 5. I opened my science book and started to read through my notes. Halfway through Tom spoke up. "Have you got a date for the Summer Ball?"
"What Summer Ball?"
He chuckled. "I forgot you are new. Every year our school hosts a Summer Ball to celebrate the end of exams. Everyone dresses up and all the teachers come in fancy dress. We all have a meal, play a couple of games and dance."
"Is it expensive?"
"Tickets are $35 each but that includes a 3 course meal."
"I'll ask Shawn and see what he says."
"You can't ask Shawn."
"What? Why?"
"A few years ago some guy from a different school got into a fight with one of the boys from our school. The fight was so bad they both ended up in hospital and my mom had to put a ban on invitations for anyone who goes to any school other than ours."
"Oh."
"So why don't you come with me?"
I laughed. "What?"
"Be my date."
"I have a boyfriend remember?"
"A boy can take a girl to a dance as friends." He handed me a flyer advertising it. "It's next month."
"I'll think about it."
We finished off revising and then headed back to our flats. I walked into the flat and everyone was in the kitchen.
"Tom just asked me to go to the summer ball with him, is that weird?"
"So?" Gabby spoke up. "A guy and a girl can go to a ball together as friends, it doesn't mean you two have to have sex after."
"Ew."
She laughed. "What did you say?"
"I said I'll think about it. I need to ask Shawn if it's ok first."
"Do you think he will mind?"
"I don't see why not."
I made myself a drink and then headed into my room to FaceTime Shawn. The call rang for a few seconds and then he answered. "Hey babe."
"Hi, what are you up to?"
"I've just done some practice questions for Maths, what are you up to?"
"I actually rang you to tell you something exciting."
"What's that?"
"I was told today that every year our school hosts an Summer Ball to celebrate the end of exams. Everyone dresses up and the apparently all the teachers dress up in fancy dress. We get a 3 course meal and everything."
"That sounds great! When is it?"
"Next month. I was going to invite you but I can't because theres a rule against inviting people from different schools."
"Why?"
"There was a bad fight that broke out a couple of years back so the school banned it."
"That's a shame but I'm sure you'll have a great time with your girls."
"Actually Tom has asked me to be his date."
"Tom as in Tom the guy you dated before me?"
"I wouldn't say date."
"You had sex."
I could sense some tension. "Is something wrong?"
"I don't want you to go with him."
"Why?"
"Because you're my girlfriend not his."
"That doesn't matter, we'll just be going as friends."
"I still don't want you to go with him."
"I don't understand, its not a big deal."
"It is to me."
I didn't know what to say so there was a pause.
"I've got to go I'll speak to you later."
Before I could say bye he hung up.

***

It's been a few days since I FaceTimed Shawn and we haven't spoken much. I'd send him a text but he would reply back with a blunt answer. He was clearly mad. I'm going back home this weekend so I'm not thinking about it too much. Tom printed off a couple of practice papers so we arranged to revise at mine and order pizza after. I headed outside to collect the pizza and then came back up. I placed the box in between us, opened the lid and then took a slice out. Tom bit into his pizza. "Have you got me an answer yet?"
I swallowed my bite of pizza. "To what?"
"To whether or not you want to come to the ball with me?"
"Oh."
"What's wrong?"
"Nothing, it's just Shawn isn't very happy about you asking me."
"Why?"
"I don't know but I asked him if it was ok and he said no."
Tom didn't say anything. "I still want to go with you, I just need to talk to Shawn."
"Well tickets go on sale this weekend."
"Shit! I'm going home this weekend."
"If you want I could get yours and you can pay me back."
"That would be amazing." I got up and grabbed my purse getting out $35."
I handed it to him and he put them in his pocket.