twenty two

Music:
Glitter: BENEE

***

I woke up the next day braided my hair, put on my uniform and headed to work. We weren't busy until lunchtime but thankfully Syd was in to help me if I needed her. We alternate each shift so it was my turn to waitress when she was washing up but after what happened I really wish I could've stayed in the kitchen. I did my usual jobs of taking food out to tables, clearing plates and glasses away and then wiping down tables. It got to half 12 and I had just given Syd the dirty plates from one of the tables.
"How are you getting on?" She asked stacking some clean plates.
I scraped all the leftover food in the bin. "I'm getting the hang of it."
"A few more shifts and you'll be a pro." She gave me a smug look and then returned to her washing up.
I headed towards the door leading to the restaurant to go and check on the tables but Naomi approached me before I could. "Do you want the good news or the bad news?"
"Bad." I don't know why but I always say bad first.
"Lyndsey just walked in with her friends." She replied.
I rolled my eyes. "What's the good news?"
"You and Syd can have a break in half an hour."
I took my order pad out of my apron pocket and headed out to Lyndsey's table.
Lyndsey stopped talking to her friends as soon as I approached her table and looked straight at me. "Here's the job stealing bitch."
"What can I get you?" I flipped the front page over ready to write.
"I'll have the carbonara unless you want to steal that too?" I blanked her and wrote her order down on the pad.
I then took the orders of everyone else sitting with her and left the table. I stormed into the kitchen and went straight to the sinks.
As soon as Syd saw me she turned. "What has she done?"
"She's just being her usual annoying self."
I went back out to clear the tables and I could feel Lyndsey's eyes on me the whole time. I managed to avoid all eye contact with her but it wasn't long until I had to bring their food out. I brought their meals out in twos and Lyndsey's just happened to be last. I placed her meal in front of her and turned to fave the table. "Anything else I can get you?"
No one said anything so I turned to walk away but Lyndsey spoke again. "I can't eat this."
I turned back around. "Is there a problem?"
She pushed her plate towards me. "Yeah I'm vegetarian and this contains bacon."
I picked up the menu and pointed to the information underneath the words 'carbonara' "It clearly says on the here that it contains bacon."
She flicked her hair away from her face. "I'd like the change my order, I'll have tomato pasta please."
"No problem." I gave her a fake smile and walked back into the kitchen taking her meal with me. I told the chef about her change and he soon prepared her pasta.
I took it back over to her. "Here you go."
I headed back into the kitchen with dirty plates I collected on the way.
I slammed the plates down beside Sid. "She's such a bitch!"
She scoffed. "Tell us something we don't know."
I wanted to stay in the kitchen longer but once they finished I had to take their desert orders.
"Wish me luck." I approached the table once more and took their dessert orders.
After I gave the chef the orders me and Syd got to go on our break. We sat down at a table far away from Lyndsey's. I got my phone out and checked my messages.

From Shawn:
Hey, Mr Jacobs has just emailed me and said that we have a test tomorrow, do you want to meet up for a last minute lesson?

To Shawn:
That would probably be best!

From Shawn:
Great I'll pick you up after work, what time do you finish?

To Shawn:
4

Our break didn't last long. As soon as I walked back into the kitchen Lyndsey's table only had one order left to be taken out and guess whose order it was?
Hers.
I picked up her ice cream sundae and headed for the door.
"Be careful the ice cream is melting." I heard someone shout from behind me.
I carefully took it to the table and placed it down in front of her. "Here you go."
She prodded her ice cream with a spoon. "What is this?"
"Your sundae." I replied.
She watched the melted ice cream run off her spoon. "It's practically melted."
I put on another fake smile. "I'm sorry but I can't help that, if you haven't seen outside it's an extremely hot day today."
She raised her voice. "You can't speak to customers like that."
I ignored her and spoke to the rest of the people on the table. "Can I get you anything else?"
They all shook their heads and carried on eating their deserts. Just as I was about to leave Lyndsey chucked her sundae all down her front and screamed making Naomi come running to the table. "What's going on?"
Before I could say anything Lyndsey burst into speech. "This rude waitress just chucked my ice cream sundae all over me on purpose."
I quickly cut her off. "No I didn't."
Naomi turned to me. "Is this true?"
"No."
"Of course she'll deny it, she doesn't want to get into trouble." She flicked some of the ice cream on me.
"I'll get you a new dessert and something to clean yourself up with." Naomi said before taking my arm and pulling me to the side.
"Did you do this?" She asked.
"No she threw that ice-cream on herself I watched her do it, she's just trying to get back at me."
Naomi didn't say anything and I could tell that she didn't believe me.
"Come on! As soon as I went to take her order she called me a job stealing bitch."
"Okay, I believe you." She put her hand on my shoulder "But I'm going to have to ask you to leave."
I pulled my eyebrows together. "Why?"
"Don't ask questions just go." She held her hand out for me to undo my apron and hand it to her. I sighed, picked up my bag from the back and left. I picked up my phone and called Shawn.
He answered
"Hey can you come and pick me up from work?"
"Sure, did you finish early?"
"No, I got kicked out."
"What?"
"I'll explain later."
"Okay I'll be there in a bit."

***

As soon as I got in Shawn's car I told him everything.
He turned to me. "I can't believe she did that."
I scoffed. "I can!"
"Does Naomi believe it was you?" He asked.
"I don't know."
We decided to go to his house. He made me a tea and we sat down at the table.
"Why is Mr Jacob's giving us a test?" I asked.
"I don't know but it's an important one."
"What does that mean?"
"If you don't get a certain percentage he will move you down a set."
My eyes widened. "I better get a good percentage then."
He went over everything we had learnt since in the last month. It all started to make sense and after Shawn tested me on some practice questions. He marked them.
"How did I do?" I asked.
"Pretty good."
I smiled. "So you think I'll pass tomorrow?"
"If you don't I'll be pretty pissed!"
We both laughed.
"Have you eaten?"
"Not since lunch."
"Do you want dinner here?"
"Would your parents mind?"
"No." He flicked through the pages of his book "We've still got lots to cover."
"As long as it's fine with your parents I'd be happy to stay."
There was a short pause.
"Can I show you something?"
"Sure."
He handed me his phone and played a short video.
It was a video of him singing free falling (I know free falling wasn't the first cover he posted but it's one of my favourite songs)
Once it finished he looked at me.
"Shawn, that was incredible!"
He smiled shyly.
"You have an amazing voice."
"Thanks."
"You've got to put that somewhere."
"What do you mean?"
I handed his phone back to him. "Put it on YouTube or something, people have to see your talent."
He scoffed. "I can't do that."
"At least upload it to vine."
"What's vine?"
"It's an app where you can post 6 second videos." I paused. "Hand me your phone and I'll show you."
I downloaded the app, created him an account, selected the best 6 seconds of the video and posted it. I placed the phone down on the table. "Now you just have to wait."
"Wait for what?"
"You'll see."

***

Shortly after I posted Shawn's vine his parents came home. His mum made dinner and it was honestly one of the best meals I've had. Sitting at the table with Shawn and his family made me realise how much of a family guy he is. The way he interacts with his sister is so sweet. Once we finished dinner me and Shawn sat on the couch and finished our lesson. It took a while but we finally covered every topic. Shawn ended up asking me quick fire questions. I got uncomfortable so I crossed my legs. As I did I sat on my foot making and it cramp. I grabbed my foot in pain. "Ow!"
"What's wrong?" He asked.
"I've got a really bad cramp in my foot."
"Give it here." He held my foot and stretched my leg out sending a pain down my leg.
"Ow! That hurts even more!"
"Just trust me, give me your other leg." I laid my other leg out so both of my legs were resting on his lap. The pain surprisingly went away.
"How did you do that?" I asked.
"I play ice hockey, we get cramps all the time."
"You play ice hockey?"
"Yeah, me, Dan and Jake all do."
"I never knew that."
"There's a game Saturday, you, Syd and Char should come and support us."
"Well there's no doubt Sid and Char will be there so I may as well tag along."
We stayed up for hours talking and every now and then Shawn would stroke my leg with his hand. He drove me home at 11 and I went to sleep.

***

I woke up the next morning and checked my phone like usual. My lock screen was filled with messages from Shawn.

From Shawn:
JAZZ

From Shawn:
JAZZ WAKE UP

From Shawn:
The vine you posted has over 10,000 likes!!!

To Shawn:
No way!!

***AUTHORS NOTE***

Sorry this is a day late, it took me a long time!

Shawn started his world tour Thursday!!
I'm seeing him in London on June 1st🎉

Comment what shows see you are going to if you're going?

Also feel free to comment and don't forget to vote✨

Instagram: heartofshawnx