seventeen

Music:
Movie - Tom Misch

***

Syd came over Saturday and helped me prepare for my trial. Thankfully she's working today as well so I'm pretty confident. I straightened my hair and then Syd picked out a black long sleeve top and black jeans. Dan, Jake and Shawn met us at the end of my road and we all walked to Olive Garden together. They said they would come for support but I'm not really sure if they will make me feel better or worse but I guess I'll find out. It had been raining all last night and I managed to avoid a few puddles on the way. We all stood waiting for the road to clear so we could cross. I felt extremely anxious standing by a huge puddle but we weren't waiting for long. The cars cleared so we all began to cross the road but suddenly a car came racing around the corner heading straight through the giant puddle beside me soaking me from head to toe.
I gasped grabbing the others attention. I wiped my eyes and looked at the driver.
"Ooops, sorry!" That couldn't of been more sarcastic!
"What the hell Lyndsey?!" I shouted back at her.
"I guess you'll have to go home and miss the trial." She burst into laughter and drove off.
I looked at the others and an idea popped into my head. Me eyes were immediately drawn to Jakes white shirt. "Jake take your shirt off."
He looked down at his shirt and then back up at me. "Why?"
"I can't wear this, its soaked." I grabbed the bottom of my shirt and lifted it off revealing my bra to everyone.
Syd quickly covered Dan's eyes, both Shawn and Jake's jaw dropped, they didn't evert their eyes until Sid slapped them.
"Give me your shirt." Jake quickly took off his shirt and handed it to me.
I placed both my arms into the shirt and pulled it over my head. I grabbed my hairband out of my jean pocket and tied my hair into a messy high pony. I done up the final buttons and Sid brushed my shirt down "Ready?"
I took a deep breath and nodded. We headed in and the boys got a table. I rushed in and stood with Lyndsey for our audit. "Sorry I'm late."
"That's okay, don't let it happen again." Naomi said whilst handing me an apron. "Lyndsey you will be in the kitchen first and Jazz will be in the restaurant." We both nodded and separated. I was put with an older boy named Callum, he was quite attractive so I wasn't complaining. He took me through taking orders, making drinks, bringing food out to tables and clearing tables. It seemed pretty straight forward and I got the hang of everything quickly. My first order was from Dan, then Jake then Shawn. They only ordered drinks but it was still an order. I was shown how to make each drink and then shown how to safely get them to the table. I was pretty proud of myself as I didn't spill any. I cleared some tables and dropped the dirty plates off with Sid, she was washing up. She gave me the are you okay look and I nodded. I then headed back out and carried on taking orders until I had to go to the loo. I went to the loo and washed my hands in the sink. Just as I was wiping my hands Lyndsey walked in.
"I'm surprised, I didn't think you'd show up." She reapplied the make up to her face.
"Well one pathetic puddle trick isn't going to stop me."
"No, but what I'll do next will." I rolled my eyes.
"Do what you want, I'm getting this job." I snapped and walked out.
I cleared away the last few plates and headed to the kitchen. Lyndsey was suspiciously hovering by the door, I ignored her and carried on walking. As I opened the kitchen door she stuck her leg out making me trip over sending the dirty plates flying to the floor and smashing as soon as they hit.
Naomi came over immediately after hearing the noise. "Whats going on."
"Jazz is so clumsy, she tripped with dirty plates and now they are all smashed." She pointed to the plates and Naomi looked pissed.
"I-" She cut me off before I could speak.
"Go and take some more orders before you do any more damage!"
"But-"
"Go!" She used a stern voice making me immediately get out of her way.
I walked back out of the kitchen and Dan called me over to their table.
"What was that noise?" Jake asked.
"Lyndsey tripped me and all the plates I was holding smashed."
"Do they know she tripped you?" Shawn said looking around like he wanted to tell Naomi about Lyndsey himself.
"No, I tried to say something but Naomi snapped at me telling me to take orders before I damage anything else."
I ignored what Naomi said and carried on working as hard as I could. Me and Lyndsey swapped for the last part of the trail so I was in the kitchen and she was in the restaurant.
Lyndsey came through and shouted an order, I wrote it down and then pegged it on the board. A few moments later I picked up the meals and took them to Lyndsey.
"What is this?" She said.
I looked down a the meals. "The order for table 10."
"No I said carbonara and margherita pizza, not spaghetti bolognaise and a margherita pizza." She put a serious voice on almost making me almost believe her.
I insisted. "No, you definitely said spaghetti bolognaise."
She took the plates off me and placed them on the worktop.
She got out her note and pointed to the order. "I wrote it here, 1 carbonara 1 margherita."
"What's going on?" The head chef came over.
Lyndsey gave me the dirtiest look. "Jazz has told you the wrong order."
"I heard 1 bolognaise 1 margherita not what is written on this pad." I snapped slightly.
"So what does the customer want?" The chef said whilst preparing other meals.
"1 carbonara 1 Margareta" She shoved the order practically under his nose so he could see.
He sighed "Lyndsey can you please take the pizza to them and apologise for the mishap, Jazz clearly needs her ears checked!"
Lyndsey took the pizza and gave me a wink before she left.
That bitch changed the order on purpose.
"I'm so sorry I did-"
"Just take out the trash, the bin is getting full!" He kept his eyes focussed on the food and didn't look up once. I didn't bother standing up for myself again when I know no one would believe me. I tied all the bags but there were too many for one trip to the bins so I had to make two. I took the first batch out and then took the second after. I placed the second batch on the floor, lifted the bin lid and threw the first one in. I then threw the second, third and fourth in but there was a split in the fourth which made all the contents of it spill out and onto me.
"Shit!" I quickly brushed the rubbish off and carefully placed the bag in the bin after tieing up the hole. I brushed my hands down and turned to head back in. On my way back in I looked into the window and saw Lyndsey standing with the smuggest look on her face waving around a pair of sharp scissors. She cut the bag so it would spill on me staining my clothes and making me stink, why am I not surprised. When I got back in Naomi and Lyndsey were waiting for me. She tuned her nose up at me as soon as I came in. "What is that smell?"
"It's me I'm sorry, the bin bag split and went all over me when I took the bags out."
She looked disgusted. "You need to clean yourself up, you can't serve food like that, thankfully for you your trial shift is over. I think you both worked really well but someone clearly worked harder than the other" She paused. "If we aren't too busy I should get back to you both in a few hours."
We both handed in our aprons and left. That's it. Naomi obviously isn't picking me. I explained in detail to the others on the way home everything Lyndsey did.
"What a bitch, how could you date that Shawn?" Jake said shaking his head.
"I honestly don't know." He said back we all laughed.
I tried to stay positive but today went so bad I'd be shocked if Naomi gave me the job. Just as that thought left my mind my phone rang, it was Naomi.
"Hello." I answered.
"Hi Jazz, its Naomi." That was quick she said a few hours
"Hello." I replied.
"You got the job."
I stopped walking grabbing everyone's attention. "Really?"
She lowered her voice. "I saw what Lyndsey did, I went out on a food shop before your trial and on my way back I saw her purposely drive through that puddle and soak you."
"You did?" I had no idea she was behind us.
"I also looked back at our cctv and saw her trip you and cut the bin bag" she paused slightly. "You showed a lot of courage today putting up with her, I would of given up but you didn't." She paused for another moment "Can you work Monday?"
"Yes of course!" I immediately smiled. "Thank you so much!"
She chuckled "I trust that you won't break any more of my plates."
I laughed. "I won't."
"Great, see you then."
"Bye." I put the phone down and turned to the others  "I got the job!!!"
Everyone suddenly grabbed me pulling me into an unexpected group hug. After they eventually got off me and Syd gave me a hug. "I knew you'd do it!" I smiled "Now we get to work together!"
Jake grabbed all of our attention. "Right this is a cause for a proper celebration, party at mine and you are all coming!" We all agreed to meet at Jake's for 7 and headed home.

***AUTHORS NOTE***

I'm actually uploading on time yikes! This chapter is a little all over the place so just go with it😂

Thank you so much for 80k reads, I am so thankful for every single one💛

Don't forget to comment, vote and follow me so you can get updates of when I'll be posting chapters

Instagram: heartofshawnx