Prologue: Everything Has Changed

A/N: Guys, you NEED to read this part and take it with a grain of salt. It may not have anything to do with the actually books but it's VERY important for the development of the plot later on. Thanks for taking the time enjoying my work. Until next time, my lovelies.

My life was pretty normal as a Shadowhunter child until that fateful night. The only trouble I faced was my brother's small inventions.

I was ten and the house was quiet. My father was out on a hunt. There was spiked demon activity nearby that Granville Fairchild had wanted him to take care of.

Father hadn't wanted Henry to come despite the fact he was completely able to help. He wanted Henry to watch me, which he needed to do, but he was brooding in his room playing around with the different small parts to keep himself from getting more agitated.

Restless at the possibility of Father getting injured, I was sitting in his study looking around at his collection of books curious by all of the ancient texts he has. Being an observant child, I noticed that one of the books on the shelf didn't have nearly as much dust around it like the other books.

I glanced back at the door of the study making sure Henry wasn't there before taking the book off the shelf. I walked slowly over to the chair at Father's desk and sat down.

I adjusted my small frame to the large chair before lifting the book up to open it noticing that it was oddly heavy. I frowned and opened it gently flipping the pages until I found the hollowed out part of it in the middle that contained a small brown leather-bound journal of sorts.

I put the book holding the journal onto Father's desk and gently removed the journal. I opened it and flipped through it recognizing that it was my father's handwriting. Then something caught my eye about halfway through. It said:

Kathleen isn't even my child. Her mother slept with another man claiming it was I that impregnated her. I, of course, could do nothing at this transgression. I had to claim her as mine. I couldn't ruin the family status by telling the community that my dear Kathleen was a daughter of a whore and coward.

As I read this, I felt horror fill me. Tears came to my eyes and I quickly shut the journal stuffing it back into the book and put it back into the shelf. I ran to my room and sat down on the bed shaking. My father had been lying to me my whole life. How could I trust him? From then on I gave him a cold shoulder and never forgave him for keeping it from me. I became more dependent on Henry and myself.