Chapter Thirty-One: Automatons

Finley's POV

I laugh softly and look over at Will who is still rummaging through the drawers who says, "I find that statement hard to believe coming from someone dressed such as you."

Magnus ignores him and says, "Will doesn't behave like other human subjugates; he doesn't stare at you with blind adoration for example."

"It's that monstrous hat of hers, it puts me off," Will scoffs in response.

"Subjugates are never 'put off' no matter what their masters wear. Besides people were also staring because they are well aware of the relationship Camille and I have together," Magnus says wiggling his eyebrows suggestively.

I think back to the memories of Camille's that flashed through my mind earlier when I was speaking to De Quincey. "Something that Camille showed me was that De Quincey was furious with her over a past relationship with a werewolf. It's like she committed a crime."

"To him it would be, vampires and werewolves despise each other. They claim it's some sort of blood feud between the two demons that spawned them. I personally think it's because they're both predators and predators don't get along with each other. Not that the vampires particularly like the fey or even my kind, but De Quincey rather likes me. He thinks we're best friends; I think he may want to be more than just friend," Magnus grins making me frown in confusion, "I, however, despise him, but he doesn't know it."

"Why spend time with him at all? Why come to his house?" Will asks from a tall secretary he moved to as he examines its contents.

"Politics. He's the head of the clam and for Camille to not accept his invite would be careless. I come to protect her. De Quincey is dangerous to his kind, especially those who have displeased him in the past."

"Then you should-," Will begins, his voice faltering for a moment before he says, "I found something. Magnus you should come look at this," he unrolls a parchment over the table as Magnus and I walk over, "There wasn't much of interest in the desk but I found this in a false drawer. Magnus what do you think of it?"

I look down at the paper to see that it is a blueprint with an outline of a human made of cogs, gears, and plates of metal. It has a panel in its chest just like that maid, Miranda, from the Dark House. To the side of the drawing was script in some foreign language, I can't even decipher any the letters as familiar.

"An automaton. An artificial being that looks human. People have always been interested in them-- they're humanoid but can't be hurt. That itself isn't concerning but that is," Magnus says pointing to the foreign script.

Will leans over and looks at it. "Yes, that's what I wanted to ask about. Is it a spell?"

Magnus nods, "A binding spell. It's used to bind demonic energy to inanimate objects. I've seen it used. Before the Accords, warlocks used to amuse themselves by making music boxes that only play at night. One of the most difficult things about creating convincing automatons is making the flesh look human-like."

"What about using it?" I ask, "Human flesh, I mean."

"Preserving the flesh destroys the appearance. One would have to use magic for it then magic again to bind the energy to a mechanical body," Magnus says.

Will asks, "What would that achieve?"

"Most automatons are designed for one task such as drawing a particular pattern or sewing clothes. With the demonic energy, they'd have some semblance of a thought and action. But with the spell, they'd be enslaved to the caster allowing him to control the automatons."

"A mechanical army," whispers Will, "Of neither Heaven nor Hell."

"I wouldn't go that far," says Magnus, "Demons are hard to come by. The amount one would need to create an army might as well be impossible. Even for an evil mastermind like De Quincey."'

"I see," says Will rolling up the parchment and placing it in his coat, "Much obliged for the help."

"Of course," Magnus says slightly puzzled.

"Have you ever actually observed De Quincey breaking the Law at one of these gatherings?"

"Yes, once actually. In one of the ceremonies-" Magnus pauses for a moment, "Actually let me show you."

A/N: Hey guys, this is pretty much all from the book. I promise more original content will come soon. As in all alternate universes, some keys points will stay the same such as this event. Thank you for your patience and enjoy! Until next time, my lovelies.