Chapter Twenty-Two: Awkward Moments

"You have?" asks Charlotte looking between myself and Camille

"I was investigating the Pandemonium Club and I was playing a mundane interested in the world in a gambling house," I say with a nonchalant shrug.

"The money you won could have been used for the investigation!" Charlotte says with exasperation.

"I spent it on gin," I say looking down at my hands acting like it was nothing.

Jem laughs quietly and Charlotte makes a noise of exasperation before turning back to Camille. "I take it that you are a member of the Pandemonium Club?"

"I am not exactly a member. I was at that gambling house with Magnus Bane."

"Magnus?" Charlotte asks in confusion. He is the Institute's warlock ally.

"You see, he is my lover," Camille said looking down at her porcelain hands.

The women in the room get very tense at those words. Ladies don't talk about amongst close friends let alone like that. I snicker softly.

"Never mind that," Charlotte waves her hand trying to dismiss the thought. "Why were you there?"

"De Quincey has wanted me to become acquainted with the club and become a member of it so I took Magnus because I trusted him and he is a Downworlder, too."

"I see," Charlotte says softly.

Camille turns to Finley and says, "So you must be the girl who Changes her shape."

"I am, but why does that matter?" she asks the vampiress.

"I want you to change into me."