Chapter Twelve: Flames

I turn away from Will so I don't have to see his dark blue eyes become increasingly icy.

A few moments later Tessa and Finley walked in slowly with Sophie. Finley is wearing a red dress that made it look like she was going to pop. It was clearly a dress of Jessamine's.

Sweet little Tessa was wearing an old dark blue dress of my own. It made her look even more more haunted. This made me frown.

Charlotte said, "Will, Kathleen, you remember the Grays."

I simply nod and Will says, "My memory is very vivid."

I glance at him to catch him looking Finley over as she and Tessa sit at the table. I scowl in annoyance and look down at my hands in my lap.

As this happens, Charlotte says to Jessamine, "Look up, Jessie."

Jessamine looks up and scowls. Charlotte continues when she knows she has the girl's attention. "Theresa and Finley Gray, meet Jessamine Lovelace."

"I'd say it's a pleasure, but it's not. I'm not fond of warlocks," she says with a sneer that does not fit her face.

"Jessamine!" Charlotte exclaims, "That is no way to talk to our guests!"

"Besides, we don't even know if they are warlocks," Will says with a "matter-of-fact" tone.

Tessa quietly speaks up, "I know I'm not. I don't have any special abilities."

I raise an eyebrow at the girl and turn to Charlotte. "Where is Henry?"

"He is in the workroom. I sent Thomas to get him. He should be here soon."

"And Jem?" Jessamine asks. I inwardly groan as Will tenses next to me.

"He is having one of his days," Charlotte replies.

"He's always having one of his days," Jessamine huffs and lightly pushes one of her blonde curls back.

I open my mouth to say something as Henry bursts into the room with his arms on fire.

"By the Angel, Henry!" I exclaim at my brother's idiocy.

"Henry, you are aware that you are on fire, correct?" Will asks condescendingly.

"This is wonderful!" He says with a beaming smile.

"What about that is wonderful?" Charlotte inquires.

"It means the fire retardant I was working on actually works!"

I sigh, "Henry that's amazing, but can you please douse the flames and sit with us for dinner?"

"Oh, oh yes. Absolutely," he turns around and exits returning a few moments later with his arms back to normal.

He sits next Charlotte and gently kisses her cheek. "What were you talking about?"