Chapter Fifteen: Meeting Miss Gray

A/N: The end of the last chapter was changed so if you didn't re-read it, please do. If you don't, the rest won't make sense. Also, this is going to be really short since this a special chapter, but I hope you guys enjoy anyway. Until next time my lovelies.

Jem's POV

I hear a bout of yelling and feel a wave of sorrow wash over me. Tears touch my eyes before I take a deep breath and stand up. These aren't my own emotions.

Knowing that my parabatai was more than likely being cold to Kathleen again, I sigh and get up slowly onto my shaky legs and carefully walk across my neat floor before reaching the door and peering out as Kathleen storms past with tears streaming down her face.

I step out and look the other direction at Will whom is looking down the hallway after Leen.

I start to slowly walk out to him but he whirls around and briskly walks the other direction. I move to turn around to check on Kathleen but something curious catches my attention.

A head of curly brown hair is poking out of the library looking out at where Will was standing. Reminding myself to check on Kathleen later, I walk toward the girl to see what she is doing.

She disappears back into the depths of the library before I get to the door. I open the door slowly and gently peering in to look around the dimly lit main chamber.

Book after book is scattered on the tables and they all appear to be about warlocks. I frown as I look them over. I call out, "Miss Gray?"

I hear a thump to my left and head that direction. "Miss Gray?" I call again looking for the girl.

I round a bookshelf to find the girl picking up two books before quickly standing up.

She looks at me with wide eyes, her face flushed.

"Miss Gray, are you well?" I ask looking at her in concern.

"I am fine," she snaps gathering herself and starts to walk past me.

I gently grab her wrist to get her attention before releasing it when she looks at me. "You most certainly are not."

"What do you know?" she asks indignantly glaring at me.

"I know when someone is upset, and you clearly are," I say looking down at her pale yet beautiful face.

"I've been researching all night about warlocks and I have not once come across any of them being like me. I am an anomaly even by warlock standards," she frowns looking down a the books in her arms.

"You do not even know if you are a warlock, Miss Gray," I say gently. "Besides, I, too, am unlike the rest of my kind."

She glances up at me in interest and looks me over. "You do not seem any different with the exception of your fair complexion."

"Fair is putting it lightly, Miss Gray," I say gently taking the books from her. "There is no need to pursue this."

She nods as I turn and put the books in their respective spots. "Are you Jem? You were not at supper and you were the only one mentioned that was not there."

"I am," I answer as I finish up and turn around.

"What makes you so different from the rest of the Shadowhunters?" she asks before quickly pressing her hand to her mouth. "I apologize, I should not have asked. That was rude."

"It is quite fine Miss Gray," I say with a smile.

Before I could continue she says, "Please call me Finley."

"Follow me, Finley. I would prefer you to sit while I tell you."