Chapter Twenty: Assumptions

Jem's POV

I knock on Finley's door and clasp my hands behind my back as I patiently wait for her. Instead of her, Tessa opens the door and looks up at me with a gaunt look. What causes my eyes to widen are the dark and diluted streaks of red that stain her eyes like a mix of blood and tears.

"Tessa," I say cautiously, "Did you happen to have been crying?" I wait fearing the answer about to pass through her lips.

"I have," she says looking down at her entangled hands.

I look her over not knowing what to say or do. There is no possible way that she is a vampire. The Institute is on consecrated ground and she cannot be in the main chambers unless she is a changeling and they do not cry blood.

I decide to state the obvious to see how she reacts to it. "Are you aware that you cry blood?"

"Fully," she says continuing to look at her hands. "It started happening after Finley and I arrived at the Dark House. I do not know why it is happening or how."

I contemplate what to say when I feel a familiar hand lie itself on my shoulder. It belongs to the red-headed beauty of the Institute. (Henry XD) "Leen," I say without turning. "I presume you are here for one of the Gray sisters?"

"I am," she states with a unease evident in her voice.

"Would I be correct in my saying that it is Tessa you are coming to speak with or retrieve?"

"You are," she says stepping up to stand to my left. I look down at her to see her freckle-accentuated hazel eyes looking upon me.

"Would I also be correct in my saying that it has something to do with her crying blood?" I ask watching her face carefully and secretly taking in her natural beauty.

A flash of shock crosses over her face before she regains her composure and answers, "You are."

I nod and look back to Tessa. "Please come with us Miss Gray."

A look of fear is now apparent on her face and she says, "I am not in trouble am I?"

"I certainly hope not," I say with complete honesty motioning her past us so she could leave her quarters.

The trio of us walk to Charlotte's office in uncomfortable silence and nervousness about the meeting to come.

When we arrive, my parabatai and Henry are waiting for us along with Finley who has a hand lightly placed against her mouth in contemplation.

I walk to stand with Will and Finley. Will gives me a look nodding at his silent question. I then turn to Finley who has her attention on her sister. I reach and squeeze her hand gently for reassurance that everything was going to be okay.

Charlotte speaks up after we all seem to be settled in. "As you all know, many things have happened today. Some that will complicate this puzzle we are trying to solve and some that will simplify it." As she said her words, she looked at her husband and Tessa in turn.

"We found the Magister. He is de Quincey."

"Who is de Quincey?" Finley asks looking at Charlotte intensely.

"The head of the vampire clan here in London," Charlotte says glancing quickly at Tessa.

"Maybe that is why he wanted me," Tessa murmurs softly.

A/N: I am just going to leave this here and wait for the various reactions for the different things I hinted at throughout the chapter. Until next time, my lovelies.