Chapter Twenty-Six: Revelations

Will's POV

After a long dinner with just Jem, Charlotte, and Jessamine, I make my way back to my room worried about Kathleen, the Gray sisters, and even Henry. Deep in thought, I wave my hand over the witchlight sitting on my nightstand causing it to illuminate the room. I turn to my wardrobe and pull out pajamas for the night and as I pull off my shirt, I hear a feeble voice come from my bed, "Will?"

I quickly turn around to see Kathleen on the bed with puffy, red eyes looking pitiful and weak. "Leen," I say walking over to her and sitting next to her, "What's wrong?"

She sniffles and hands me a letter. I raise my eyebrow at her and she motions for me to read it. I look down at the paper reading the following words:

My dear child,
Things aren't as they seem, as you have learned recently with the arrival of the Gray sisters. Little do you know, you're much like them. Go to the Dark House to get answers, and come alone. Tonight at midnight.
Sincerely,
E.S., your father.

I finish reading and look at her in confusion. "Your father is dead..." I trail off reading the conclusion again.

"Buford is, yes," she says looking down her hands.

"What do you mean?" I ask looking at her closely.

"Buford isn't my actual father," she whispers, "My mother had an affair."

"Does Henry know?" I ask and shakes her head in response.

"No, he doesn't. I wasn't even supposed to know. I found out by reading Buford's journal before he was killed."

"Are you going to go?" I ask, part of me wanting her to say yes.

"I think I need to," she says looking at me. "Will you go with me?"

"Of course," I say and pull her close to me and stroke her hair softly to comfort her.

We spend the next hour in the same position and come up with a plan

*Just before midnight in front of the Dark House*

Kathleen's POV

I look and Will and say, "I have a bad feeling about this."

"It's okay, Leen," he says, "I'll be out here the whole time and if I think you need me, I'll be in there faster than you can say Herondale."

I nod and prep my bow just in case before walking back to the house taking a deep breath and opening the door feeling a deep sense of fear and deja vu.

"I told you to come alone," a voice echoes around me.

Not knowing where it is coming from, I make a small circle as I say, "I came in alone. He's staying outside."

"Quite a loophole, isn't it?" the voice says behind me in my ear making my whip around but no one is there.

"Show yourself," I demand with the hairs on the back of my neck standing up.

"Walk to the kitchen," says the voice, "The answers lie there."

I make my way slowly to the kitchen from memory unsure about what I am about to discover and I push the door open with my bow up.

A man facing away from me says, "Put the weapon down, child."

I frown and put my bow down still ready to shoot. "Who are you?"

He laughs and turns around looking at me with piercing violet eyes. "Your father, of course."

"You said you have answers for me," I say taking three cautious steps toward him.

"I do," he says and motions to a stool next to an island in the middle of the room, "Sit, please."