Chapter Eighteen: Revelations

I stop for moment in slight confusion at her question. "They are. Why do you ask, Tessa?"

She shakes her head slightly before saying, "No reason other than that I was curious."

I search her face knowing that she was lying. "There's no need to-" I say before the realization hit me. "Do you think that you are one?"

A look of panic flashes across her face before she regains her composure. "Is it possible to have the qualities of one but to not be one?"

"I haven't ever heard of that being such a thing, but at this point I wouldn't be shocked. Your sister has the powers of a warlock but has no physical proof of being one," I say thinking carefully over my words.

She nods and looks down at her small hands and scowls slightly. "Kathleen, what does physical appearance have to do with being a warlock?"

"All warlocks that have been alive as far as the Clave knows have had some type of mark showing their demon origin. Taloned hands, cats eyes, purple skin, and even scales are a few that I have seen but I know that there is a must larger variety of the demon marks."

She nods again not saying anything else seemingly deep in thought.

"Tessa are you feeling well?" I ask in slight concern.

"I am fine; thank you," she says.

"I should tell you that I will need to tell Charlotte about this conversation unless you would like to talk to her yourself," I say gently.

Those words get a very odd reaction out of the girl. She breaks down in tears. I don't say anything, instead I take her in my arms and gently rub her back to try and calm her.

She eventually cries herself to sleep so I lie her down on her bed and cover her with the gray blanket lying there.

I walk out feeling pity for Tessa and almost fear for what I need to tell Charlotte. This just make an even bigger upheaval.