Chapter Nineteen: Discussions

I spent the afternoon looking through the vampiric occurrences in the archives and came up with nothing involving what Tessa had said to me. I'm now sitting in a chair in the library with just the same information I grew up knowing as a child. Vampires are made by consuming their creator's blood and then dying. No exceptions anywhere.

I set my head in my hands in defeat when I feel a light tap on my shoulder. I turn to see Will and cringe inwardly at the possible awkward outcomes that could come from this interaction.

He opens his mouth to say something but stops looking over my shoulder at the tomes and papers covering the table. "What is this?" he asks his eyes flashing darkly for a moment.

"I was reading on vampires. I am a Shadowhunter, it is not unusual to research what is in my world and what I have the chance of coming across and killing or allying myself with," I say firmly not sure how to take his emotions toward what I was doing moments before he disturbed my reverie of frustration.

"It is unusual because we have more interest in warlocks right now. It is silly researching something that we are not going to need especially since we already know everything there is to know about vampires," he says almost vehemently.

"I do not see why it matters," I retort angrily.

He growls in frustration and says, "Charlotte wants to talk with you."

He starts to walk away when I say quietly, "This is not the way to win me back Will."

His graceful steps falter at my words for a moment before he continues on like I had said nothing to him at all.

I decide to put all the things on the table away before going to talk with Charlotte knowing that I don't want to be right behind Will and that I don't want to be angry while having an important conversation with her.

I walk to my sister-in-law's office slowly still trying to simmer down my anger. When I finally get there, Charlotte nearly has a hole burnt through her carpet from pacing while waiting for me.

"You wanted to talk with me?" I say stopping her in her tracks.

She turns to me and asks, "Why were you not at breakfast this morning, Kathleen?"

"Mr. Herondale and I had an argument last night," I say pausing a moment slightly embarrassed due to the look Charlotte is giving me, "I did not want to see him this morning."

"Kathleen, you two have been arguing since he first came here. What makes this time any different?" she asks giving me a steady look.

"It's complicated," I mumble. "I have a feeling that my absence this morning was not why you called me here."

Much to my relief she let's mine and Will's dispute alone and says, "That feeling would be correct. We talked with Mr. Mortmain, Mr. Gray's former employer, and he knew who Henry and I were the moment we walked into his office. I asked him several questions and he eventually told me that he had taken Nathaniel to a few of the Pandemonium Club parties and he had got himself intertwined in it and was taken under another employer there. He also gave us the helpful information that de Quincey is the leader of the club and the Magister that was planning on marrying Finley because of her powers."

I nod and say, "I see. What are we going to do about that?"

"We have not decided yet, we are going to discuss that at dinner."

"If that is all, there is something I need to discuss with you."

"What is it, Kathleen," she says almost confused that I have something to say.

"It's about Tessa," I say and she gives me a confused look. "She thinks she is similar to Finley."