Chapter Twenty-Seven: Awakening

Kathleen's POV

I sit cautiously keeping an eye on the man in front of me and sling my bow across my back. He sits across from me looking me over and with a small smile says, "You look so much like your mother."

I flinch a little at his words and say, "I'm here for information, not reminiscence."

He chuckles at me and smiles more before saying, "You're correct. Before I can answer any questions about you, I have to explain my story. I was born a Shadowhunter to a mundane father and Shadowhunter mother. As you know, it is forbidden for any Shadowhunter to stay active in the life if they marry a mundane.

"Because of this, I never received my Marks or training and remained mundane with dormant blood. Every year someone would come and ask me if I would like to become a Shadowhunter, but I always said no. I could never leave my family behind and never become someone who rejects relationships with mundanes.

"What I didn't know was that I was only harming myself by not waking my angel blood, especially when mine is much more pure than others. I-"

I cut him off saying, "That is not possible. We are no more than half angel no matter how many times we reproduce."

"That is where you are wrong, Kathleen. I can finish my story here and leave you with more questions if you'd like. You don't have to believe me," he says with a dark look on his face.

I frown at what he's saying but still needing information, I say, "Continue please."

He smirks before continuing, "My mundane father had managed to summon an angel of the lowest order and kept him prisoner for years. He did this for reasons unknown to me but I think it was because he wanted to become a Shadowhunter and not be a pariah in my mother's world. He consumed this angel's blood and essence for years during its captivity and slipped it into my mother's wine and food without her knowledge.

"One night they both consumed this angel's blood, I had been conceived. When my father found out the news, he continued the consumption at an advanced pace until the angel freed himself and chose to smite my father where he stood when I was a teen and old enough to make a life for myself. I was on a train from the country to London when I heard the news of his death but never returned home.

"I later learned of his experiments when my mother wrote a letter explaining his choices while I was going to a university. I soon dropped out and on the streets I met your mother. I soon fell in love with her, and her with me. She convinced me to awaken my blood after your birth telling me you needed me in your life as a Shadowhunter father. She gave me my first and only Mark which resulted in her death and immense power in me.

"And I have reason to believe you have similar powers in you, as do the Gray sisters."

A/N: Hey guys, I know this is kind of a repeat from Valentine but if I ever write a Mortal Instruments fan fiction, this is important for the set up. Valentine gets the idea from Kathleen's grandfather's journal. It was a clearly thought out choice from the beginning. Until next time, my lovelies.