Chapter Five: The Institute

We arrive at the Institute about an hour later. I glance back at the Gray sisters as the look at the Institute curiously.

"Why are we at a church?" asks Finley's sister.

"Tessa, hush. I am sure these... lovely people will explain why we're in a minute."

Hearing this, I walk over to the girls and say, "This does indeed look like a church, but it's no longer used for those purposes. This is the London Institute. The home of the city's Shadowhunters. The two of you will meet all the others tomorrow after you get some rest."

I gently urge them forward as Tessa stares at me with wide eyes. Finley grabs the door handle and pulls. It doesn't open. She frowns and tries again.

"Why isn't this working?" she asks frowning.

"It requires Shadowhunter blood to open the door." Jem answers from behind us.

"Here, let me," I say softly. I make it past the sisters and open the door for them.

Tessa gasps in amazement and curiously walks inside. "It's so beautiful here!"

I smile, remembering the first time I had ever walked into the Institute many years ago.

Finley walks in slowly acting like there was a demon waiting to attack.

"It's okay. Nothing will hurt you," I say gently.

She makes it the rest of the way in as I walk behind her at a far enough distance to make the girl more comfortable.

"I will take you to some of the guest rooms. Come with me," I say walking in front of the girls.

Tessa glances at Finley and follows after me making her sister sigh. I lead them to two rooms next to each other that would have a comfortable amount of space.