Chapter Twenty-Four: Carbon Copy

Will’s POV

“I can’t learn how to Change into you for a few hours in a week!” Finley exclaims worry written across her face.

“Finley, didn’t you change into Jessamine in moments?” asks Jem with genuine curiosity.

“I suppose, but that’s not- it’s not- the same!” she exclaims seemingly embarrassed that Jem had pointed out a flaw in what she believed was true.

Wanting to humor her I ask, “What about it is different, Finley?”

Camille starts talking before Finley could get a word in, “Isn’t it obvious? She does not have the grace I have when I move and talk. She’s not familiar with who I know and it’s obvious that there will be people at the party who will expect her to converse with her.”

Finley looks shocked at what Camille had said and send her gaze to Jem, “That’s why. I couldn’t have said it better.”

“Why don’t you just get an item from her to wear so you know this will work?” asks Charlotte. “Even if you can’t act like her yet, you can at least learn what it is like to be her.”

Finley pauses a moment before saying, “Can I have something personal of yours? A ring or handkerchief, perhaps?”

Camille reaches around her neck behind her blonde curls to unclasp the ruby necklace resting heavily upon her chest and holds it over to Finley. 

She takes the necklace and puts it on. “Here goes,” she says closing her eyes.

We all watch as she wobbles slightly before in a fraction of a second she turns into the carbon copy of the vampiress in the room. Her eyes burst open moments before she falls to her knees.

“Finley!” Jem exclaims as he rushes over to her with me following behind.

Jem takes her hand and says, “Finley, look at me.” She looks at him with panic in her eyes before he continues speaking, “You’re here and alive. Just breathe.”

She listens to him and stands back up looking at Camille. “I can Change into you,” she says in barely a whisper before passing out and Changing back into herself. Jem catches her and looks at me. 

We have one of those silent conversations only parabatai can have and he takes off Camille’s necklace from Finley’s neck and gives it back to the vampiress before lifting Finley up and leaving.

Charlotte looks at me and says, “Escort Camille, I’ll follow Jem and get a Silent Brother if necessary.” 

I nod and turn to Camille. “Lady Belcourt, if you’ll come with me.”

She stands up and walks with me to the exit. “I’ll have one of my subjugates send what is needed for the party.”

“There’s one thing I need to ask you first,” I say looking at her with a likely intense gaze.

“What is it?” she says almost impatiently.

“Why help us?”

“De Quincey took something from me, and gave me hatred in exchange.”

With that, she left leaving me with my thoughts and memories.