Chapter Sixteen: Racing Heart

A/N: I am SO sorry for the long wait. My life has been in shambles but I felt that starting up my writing again would help a little. So here goes:

Finley's POV

I press my hand to my mouth my eyes wide with horror at the end of Jem's tale. He looks at me with a sad smile his pale eyes watching me closely.

My hand finds his on the table across from me and I give it a gentle squeeze. "Jem... I'm so sorry you had to go through that."

"Finley, it's quite all right," he says gently taking his hand out of my grasp before standing up in pushing in the chair at the table. "You should try to get some sleep. Being here in the Institute will mean long hours despite you not being a Shadowhunter."

I nod in agreement. Usually I'd argue, but with Jem, it was different. He has this aura of wisdom to him that those much older usually have and I have an odd need to respect his wishes. "Yes, I should," I pause slightly embarrassed by what I am about to say next, "Walk with me, please? I do not completely remember my way back and I do not want to get lost in this maze you call home." A small blush washes over my face.

He smiles and says, "Yes, of course."

I smile back at him and stand up before pushing in my chair and giving the area a quick look around. I see all the books I grabbed across the room and I say, "Jem, wait. We need to put these back."

"Do not worry about it, Finley. I can do it before breakfast at daybreak," he says. You need sleep more than these books need to be put back."

"Jem, you are very kind," I say walking with him out the library.

I glance up at him to see a light blush brightening his pale cheeks. "Thank you, Finley."

I smile and walk in comfortable silence with him back to the room I am staying in. When we arrive there I turn and say, "Thank you, Jem. Goodnight."

"You are welcome, Finley. Goodnight," he says with a smile that doesn't quite reach his eyes before he turns around and goes back down the hall the way we came.

I watch him until he disappears out of sight and release a breath I did not realize that I was holding. I take a deep breath to slow my slightly racing heartbeat before entering the room.

I reach back and take the pins out of my hair and lie down on the bed. Before I know it, I am fast asleep.

A/N: I know it's a filler but at least it's something and doesn't leave you wondering what happens between them. Anyway, I hope you guys liked it. Until next time, my lovelies.