Chapter One: The Dark House

I finish adjusting my gear when I feel a tap on my shoulder. I look up to see Jem's pale face. "We need to be going, Leen," he says softly.

We were about to go raid a house that was connected to the Pandemonium Club run by corrupt Downworlders. Emma Bayliss's murder led us right to their lair.

I nod and stand up to my full height of a tiny 5'0. I pick up my bow and sling it over my shoulder along with the rune covered adamas arrows.

I silently pad after him to the entrance hall where Will was waiting. He nods at me making my heart jump slightly. I've had a small crush on the handsome boy before me since he came to live in the Institute with us.

We go out to the carriage where Thomas was waiting. I nod to him before climbing in next to Jem.

We ride for an hour in silence as Thomas takes us half a mile away from the house. This is where we lightly draw the tunes onto our skin.

We make it to the house quickly. Jem and Will silently creep to the front door as I keep watch a little farther away should there be any sign of danger.

Nothing happens as Will expertly opens the door. The parabatai go in as I slowly creep over to the door still keeping a watchful eye.

We arrive at a stair case and look at each other. Will points at me and then the stairs and I nod in understanding. I walk up the stairs and creep up them quickly and quietly.

I look around seeing two different hallways. One to my right and the other to my left. After a moment of thinking, I go left and walk silently down the hall listening carefully for any signs of danger.

I pass a door hearing soft sobbing. Frowning, I lightly press my ear to the door. The sobbing stops and I hear a shaky voice call, "Go away!"

Convinced that this wasn't a Downworlder I open the door slowly to make sure the hinges don't creak. The room contains a small bed and a wardrobe with a brown haired teen girl sitting on the bed with red puffy eyes and a defiant look on her face.

"Who are you?" she asks almost accusingly. She notices my bow and her eyes widen.

"I'm here to help," I say quietly.

She glares at me. "How do I know you aren't lying to me?"

"You don't."

She looks at my face for a moment before getting up. "We need to find my little sister. I know she's here but I don't know where they're keeping her."

"We'll find her. Don't worry," I say gently. "You just need to be quiet and follow me."

We quietly go down the rest of the hall. I look around not seeing any other signs of activity or life around. We head back the way I came from the stairs and as I turn the corner, I run into someone.