Rico

Jesse's POV:

This was a mistake.

There was no competition between me and him, Eric won her over.

I don't see what she sees in the guy but, I guess I'll support.

But at the same time, Eric doesn't look like he belongs with her. She deserves someone who won't change her. Someone who doesn't need her to change.

Abby was nothing compared to Danica.

Abby's pretty but Danica's beautiful.

Abby's smart but Danica's a genius.

Abby's cool but Danica's amazing.

I needed to face reality.

There was no getting over Danica. And being with another girl wasn't helping either.

I didn't even bother glancing over at Danica and Eric.

I swore I wouldn't, but I was looking anyway.

She looked so happy. So in love with him. And so did he. It made me angry at myself, because that should've been me.

But I want Danica to be happy, and if it's not with me then so be it.

She's the only person I've ever loved so deeply and strongly before to put her happiness before mine.

Because seeing her happy, is all I ever want her to be.

Even if her happiness doesn't include me.

That's what love is... right?

Danica's POV:

Right after Abby and I bickered in the bathroom, Jesse and Abby made an excuse to leave, but Eric and I decided to stay a little longer.

Currently, we were having a drink at the bar.

Well, I had a soda while Eric downed a bottle of bourbon.

He was uncontrollably giggling left and right. It was contagious. His smile was accompanied by two cute dimples on the sides of his cheeks.

"And how was high school?" I asked taking a sip.

His face stiffened as he got into depth about it, "It was alright."

I snickered, "You don't expect me to believe that right?"

Eric had a half smile as he continued to think, "I never finished high school."

I was surprised, but should I be?

"Well, why not?" I asked spinning my straw around my drink.

He shrugged and laid back in his chair drifting off into a flashback, "I was friends with a vicious guy named Rico. Rico was very wise, but extremely dangerous. I used to think I was his sidekick. He showed me the ropes, the reason why he does what he does..." Eric trailed off, his brows furrowed and his lips frowning, "We were at the Russian Mafia's palace collecting our money. Rico told me to have the car ready, that if he wasn't out in five minutes, to leave without him. Rico was one to be true to his word. Never has he miscalculated or lied, to anyone. So, I waited patiently and nervous. That's when a ghastly explosion came from inside. I had never been more afraid than in that very moment. Every second pulsed through my veins like a ticking time bomb. When the last second struck, I knew what had happened. Rico had been caught in a grenade. Something completely unavoidable. I knew if I had stayed any longer, they'd come after me. And being the amateur I was at the time, I knew I wouldn't stand a chance, and so I left."

"I'm sorry." Long moments of silence passed, and I then had enough courage to speak again. "What happened afterwards?"

His nose twitched a little at the thought, "Once I had enough experience— years later— I made a trip back to Russia and tore the leader limb by limb. Then, I sent his head to their doorstep." He let out a small laugh, "At the time, I had been a little dramatic."

I nearly choked. I was speechless, what do I even say? Congrats?

"Nonetheless, Rico made me the way I am now. I aspire to continue his legacy." he took a heavy sip of bourbon.

"But, death doesn't solve anything, it just creates more problems." I added.

He shook his head, "See, that's where you're wrong. Generating fear from enemies is such a powerful gift. You could do so much with it."

"What if they're not afraid?" I asked.

"Then, that would be stupid of them. I think the better question is, do I show mercy?" he chuckled darkly.

I ran cold and looked away from his beautiful, evil grin.

"I'm not afraid of you." I challenged. "Everyone has a weakness, including you."

He snickered, "Well, you should be."

I shook my head, "I'm not. Because I know you'd never hurt me."

His eyes lingered away. I felt the tedium as he fumed silently but visibly.

I was right. And he didn't like it.