Hierarchy

Santiago walked me to the front door, therefore I inferred there was no harm.

I walked through the door, and noticed someone digging through the fridge. They popped open a soda can and finally closed it shut, revealing their face.

I was shocked.

"Hey Danica!" Alessandra smiled as she paced over to me.

I choked the words out, "You're back?"

She nodded her head, grinning, then hugged me tight. Her bubbly aura embedding me, filling pieces of my heart back together.

"I'll let you guys catch up," Santiago waved once before turning to me, "Goodnight, Danica." He trailed off into his bedroom down the hall, and into the guest room.

Alessandra and I sat at the living room, exchanging greetings. Our conversation soon began to hit a nerve, one of my very sensitive nerves.

"I'm sorry Eric did this to you, Danica. I truly am." She sighed, shaking her head.

I swallowed hard, successfully holding my tears back. "It's fine, it was my fault. I should've never left his sight."

Her brows furrowed, "It wasn't your fault, sweetie. Marcello was the bastard that got into Eric's head. If it wasn't for him, Eric would've still been here, with you."

My expression shifted. I was puzzled, "What did Marcello say?"

"Eric said he told him it was best for you two to be separated. That you should have a chance to a better life... a safer life."

A pit of fire scorched in my stomach, "Eric is the better life."

"Think of this situation in reverse. It would've been selfish of him if he hadn't given you a chance."

A hot tear streamed down the side of my cheek.

"Do you miss your old life? Before Eric?" She asked curiously.

My eyes squinted, "I can't remember it. Probably because it wasn't worth remembering."

My mind was flooded again with thoughts of Eric. I shook my head in disbelief, grieving once more. "He needs to come back. He has to."

"You never know what'll happen, at least try to move on."

I wonder how she coped with the loss of her love.

"How did you move on?" I asked idiomatically.

Her eyes fell, and I noticed my question took her by surprise. She cleared her throat, "Well, um..." Then there was a long pause. "It was difficult, but I managed. You will too. I was alone, but you're not. I'm here for you."

I couldn't help but come in for a hug. She knew what this felt like, she understood.

* * *

Two months later...

It was better with Alessandra around. A lot better.

She convinced me to get back on track and get on with my life. Though it was boring, I was continuously being productive. I never fully gotten over Eric, I'm just so busy now I don't have time to think about anyone.