Return of the Devil

I didn't want to leave the house, though. I began to second guess myself. What if being out of the house, alone is even worse?

That night I decided to just sleep with the lights on. But I couldn't manage to close my eyes for at least five minutes.

I couldn't. The fear of opening my eyes and having the things that permanently scarred me for life from Marcello done again... it made my insides turn.

I locked every door in my room, including the windows. I also had a small pepper spray weapon, wrapped around my finger in case of an emergency.

I waited for the thief.

But they never showed.

*

The day following this all nighter was completely dreadful. I lacked energy in everything possible.

As soon as I got to the living room, I spotted Alessandra and Santiago bickering.

"What's the dilemma?" I asked as I sat on the couch.

Santiago folded his arms and scolded Alessandra.

Alessandra sighed as she glanced away from him, "He needs to go to Los Angeles."

I was confused. "For what?"

Santiago furrowed his brows, "It's a client of mine. He's been playing dumb. I need to investigate further."

He began to shuffle away into his room. "I'll be back by the morning. You won't miss me."

Alessandra trailed behind him as I followed them both.

She hollered over his shoulder, "This could be dangerous, you're not used to going into these things solo. You always had Eric."

His name sent a wave of nausea and clawing within my stomach.

Santiago shrugged as he rounded the corner into his room, "Well, I don't have a choice. I'm missing some money, and until I get it... those guys are going to be missing some fingers." He began to pack his bags.

Alessandra wondered, "I'll join."

I was shocked, mostly. But also frightened, home... alone.

"Could I come too?" I insisted.

They both chuckled, Ales squeezed my shoulder. "No, silly. You'll get hurt."

I frowned, "Well, what about you? Can't you get hurt?"

She smirked, "I'm probably tougher than this big baby we call Santiago."

Santiago laughed as he locked his suitcase. "Oh, shut up. I'll be in the car, waiting." As he walked out the door, he placed a kiss on my head, and left. "I'll see you tomorrow, take care Danica."

Alessandra and I walked upstairs as she packed her purse. Before stepping out the house, she turned around and inquired, "Are you sure you're going to be okay?"

I bit my tongue, trying to contain myself. "Of course. I'll see you then."

She smiled as she hugged me goodbye. "I'll see you tomorrow." Before hopping in the car, she shouted over the car to me, "Feel free to invite Noah over if it'll make you feel better."

**

Later that evening, I decided to order Chinese food and agreed to invite Noah to sleep over.

"Hello?"

"Hey, Noah!" I tried to sound enthusiastic.

"Oh, hey Danica. How have you been?" He seemed as joyful as always.

"Good, I've just been wondering. I have the house to myself, would you want to come over and hang out?" I attempted to sound nonchalant.

He hesitated for a long moment until he finally answered, "I'd love to, but unfortunately I have a guest speaking meeting tonight."

"That sounds awesome. Don't worry about it. I'll see you in class." I began to fret.

"I'm sorry, Danica. I would blow this thing off if I could, but my career depends on this speech."

"I hope you the best, Noah. Break a leg."

**

Just before I went to bed, I headed downstairs for a bowl of grapes and a tall glass of water.

As I paced back into my room to resume my television show, I felt a presence staring on me. I increased my speed dramatically, and literally ran in my room, slamming the door shut behind me, locking it.

The water was spilling over my shirt, soaking it wet. I tried to regulate my heart beat, as I lied down and continued to watch my show.

Around 3 am, all the lights turned off from inside and I felt the break of sweat beginning to pour down my face.

I snatched my phone from the bedside and beamed my flashlight, from across the room a tall silhouette sat on my bay window.

Dark and built, the figure hunched over his knees and faced the ground.

It was as a scene from a horror film, the figure stood up from the window and made their way to me. Their head still hung, pieces of their hair dangling in front of their face.

Their face was unclear, I couldn't pin point who it could possibly be and how they got in my room.

I scrambled away from the figure and yanked a fork in my hand, along with the pepper spray in the other.

As soon as it took steps closer, the power switched back on and their face became noticeable.

I completely went into shock. Every bone in my body just froze and I felt no energy for anything but gasping.

It made it hard to breathe.

I still couldn't speak. My mind couldn't even begin to process what was happening.

"Long time no see."

They stepped to me as their bulky hands reached to the nightstand and picked off a grape, tossing it into their mouth.

After swallowing, his face grinned widely as he held my jaw with his huge hands.

"God, I've missed you so damn much."