Goodbye High School

It was graduation. Usually, graduates are excited for today, but I was just relieved.

I still had trauma over the entire fiasco on grad night. Luckily, Jesse was true to his word and avoided me.

My mom had a pouch of tissues grasped in her hand tightly as she drove into the parking lot.

Eric said he'd be there, so I began to scan the lot. Immediately, I noticed his favorite black Porsche. My face lit up and my mom glanced at his car as well.

She pursed her lips, "What does that guy do anyway? How could he afford so many cars?"

Eric was fixing his hair in his car, not noticing us drive by. Mom parked the car a couple spaces away from him, and I helped myself out the front seat, waddling towards his car in my heels.

His eyes shot at me as I approached his car, then he jumped out with a wide smile

His eyes shot at me as I approached his car, then he jumped out with a wide smile. Eric held his arms out as he stepped towards me, "You did it, beautiful. You completed high school."

I hugged him tight, squeezing myself against his rock hard chest. I heard my moms steps behind me get closer.

I let go then Eric shook her hand once again, "Good afternoon, Mrs.-"

My mom barked, "It's Cecile. Where do you work young man? You seem very wealthy for your age."

"It's rude to be in other people's business. Besides, we need to get going if you want to get good seats." I interfered.

"Oh, no need. I reserved our seats. Front row." Eric smiled briefly.

She nodded impressed, "How generous of you," she turned away and we followed her in the auditoriums entrance.

Eric threw his hand over my shoulder and whispered in my ear as we got in, "You're glowing in that dress."

I felt my cheeks flush, "Too bad it's covered by the cap and gown."

He smiled smugly, "We'll fix that later."

We parted once he left to the seating and I went backstage.

*

I felt as if I just pressed the fast forward button.

They were now calling our names, row by row and mine was next.

In my row, about ten people down was Jesse. From my peripheral, I'd often notice his head turn to me, trying to get my attention. I was not looking for any mess, especially today.