Rejected Happiness

I came back from Bora Bora a shade darker, but stress-free.

I was in doubt in telling my mom about my engagement, though I should tell her soon. Something this important isn't meant to be kept a secret. She's just always incredibly busy, it seems as if it's never the right time.

My heart always seemed to pour out whenever It'd take a look at the sparkling ring on my finger.

It'd glisten in sunlight, each diamond nearly blinding me over and over again.

I tossed my wet laundry in the dryer, speaking to Eric, who was lingering around the kitchen, "Next Saturday seems like a good day to have the party."

He nodded as he took a bite out of an apple, "Who are you planning to invite?"

I closed the dryers door and stepped to him, "Besides my mom and Jesse, I was thinking to invite Alessandra. I just hope she's over the feud against Marcello, I feel really bad about it."

Eric shook his head in assurance, "She can't hold a grudge for that long."

"Well then, are you going to call her?" I questioned.

"Do me a favor, and call her. I have a long list of people I'm inviting." The apple began to slowly disappear.

Before she snapped, Alessandra was actually one of the most nicest girls I've met. She was honest and such a good person to be around. Her aura was filled with joy and excitement, it was contagious.

Eric kissed my cheek and took the last bite of fruit, throwing the core in the trash, "I better get going, your mom will be here any second now."

Unsatisfied, I pulled him back towards me, and leaned in for his kiss.

Seconds later, he left and I was once again isolated.

I began to dial Jesse's number as I drummed my fingers on the countertop, impatiently.

"Hey, Danica." Jesse answered eagerly.

I slightly jumped out of my skin, "Hey, Jesse. Um, I have to tell you something important... am I calling at a right time?"

He concernedly hesitated, "Thats fine, I'm just visiting my college. But, go on."

I bit my lip, on edge, I had to tell him. It was now or never.

"Eric and I are engaged. We're having an engagement party next Saturday, and you're invited." The words slowly and unwillingly tumbled out.

I swallowed hard, anxiously still waiting for his response.

The silence grew uncomfortable, but finally he spoke after what seemed like eternity.

"Oh... wow. This isn't a joke, right?"

"No," I began to pace back and forth.

More long, awkward seconds passed.

"I'll be there. Bye, Danica. Oh and, congrats." His voice unenthusiastic and distraught.

The call quickly ended before I could even say goodbye.

My mom came soon after our short conversation. Hearing her footsteps walk through the front door, gave me chills down my spine.

I quickly glanced at my ring, unintentionally pulling the sleeve over, to conceal it.

I turned around, apprehensively and we exchanged smiles, "Hey mom, I have good news."