Unknown Caller

I woke up wrapped in the arms of Eric. I was stunned by the reflection of the beautiful bracelet on my wrist, making me feel, once again, guilty.

Eric was fast asleep, so I gently got out of bed trying not to wake him. I successfully changed without disturbing him.

I had decided to buy cereal and milk from a Target a couple blocks down the road. I was determined to prove to him that even the simplest and affordable meals could be a lot better than the ones at a five star restaurant.

I silently rummaged through Eric's wallet to look for a ten dollar bill. Surprisingly, there was just a huge stack full of hundred dollar bills.

Am I really surprised? No. I bet this is his "change".

I silently groaned and ended up taking the bill, placed his wallet back, and quietly closed our hotel room door.

I walked down the hallway, which seemed like went on forever.

I eventually got out of the breathtaking hotel, and walked onto the chaotic sidewalk.

It took about 15 minutes to get to Target.

The red building was was three stories high, including an additional level for parking. Everything seemed so much better at San Francisco.

I ended up buying Fruity Pebbles because who doesn't like it? As I walked out with the bag in my hand, my phone began to buzz.

Unknown Caller.

My brows furrowed, "Hello?"

An unfamiliar deep voice answered, "A pretty girl like you isn't safe alone in these streets, my streets. Pay close attention to what I'm about to say."

I felt my body freeze.

I could hardly hear by all the commotion around me, I walked in the quiet alley beside the sidewalk, "I think you have the wrong number."

"Eric took something that belongs to me. And I want it back." he barked.

"I don't know anything about his business deals or anything like that." I felt my voice weaken in fright.

"Is that so? It'd be a shame to hurt your dear mother. Poor thing, you've left her alone, with no one to protect her." his sinister voice laughed.

My eyes filled with angry tears, "Don't touch her!"

"Easy there, I won't hurt her. As long as you give me what I want."

"I told you I don't know anything about his deals! Please just leave me and my mom alone." I hung up the phone.

I felt my tears fall to my face as I rubbed them away, weaving through the people in the street, and walked back to the hotel.

I used the key to get in the room, making sure my eyes were cleared. I didn't want to tell him until we got back home, so I could be alongside my mom.

"There you are! Where'd you go?! Don't leave by yourself!" Eric furiously spat at me. But before I could even speak he glanced at my grocery bag and abruptly interrupted again, "Did you at least take a cab there?!"

I shook my head slowly and he groaned angrily, "You're not safe without me, please next time don't leave!"

There was something I was missing here and I was determined to find out what that was. "Why would it not be safe? Is there something you're not telling me?"

He clenched his teeth, "Just don't leave! Understood?"

I folded my arm, "No. Why isn't it safe?"

"We're on their territory. And they know you're my... weakness." he unwilling admitted.

"Who is they and why are they after you?" I asked.

His jaw tightened, "Let's just say I found his weakness and took something of theirs."

"Who was his weakness?" I stepped toward him, my eyes grew in suspicion.

He inhaled deeply and looked away, "His wife."

"Why!" I shrieked thinking of all the possibilities that man was going to hurt me and my mom. I fell to my knees and balled out.

Eric crouched down to me and moved the hair out my face. He lifted my chin  and asked in sympathetic confusion, "Why are you crying, Danica?"

"I'm gonna get killed." my voice shook.

He wiped a tear away from my cheek and held me close. I shut my eyes, letting the tears fall. My head buried in his chest, as I cried.

His cheek rested on my head, "I'm not going to let anyone touch you. Your life before mine, always."

~~~~~
Hey guys don't forget to check out the BOOK TRAILER in Chapter 1!!! Let me know what you think about it in the comments! Happy reading :)