Chapter 1.

*****

"Guys, we're going swimming. You coming?"

I furrowed my brows as I lifted my head to watch the hotel door open revealing my sister and Ashton in the hallway. Ashton was one of my best friends her mate, a sole mate every werewolf had. The pair had known each other literally their entire lives, it used to drive one of our fathers crazy, the other hid his annoyance at it better, he usually acted enthusiastic about it but would occasionally keep the two apart when he felt like Ashton was getting too close to his little girl. We were older now though, and eventually our parents had to accept that she would be with her mate so Tamia and Ashton officially mated and got married a few months ago.

Ashton was also my Beta, the second in command, whereas I was the leader also known as the Alpha of our pack of wolves. My father Corey had been the Beta and Ashton's father the Alpha of our pack until Ashton and I took over five years ago. Alpha selection in our pack was random, usually the Alpha and the other leaders were born with a tattoo that showed what their positions within the pack were supposed to be.

"Swimming? We just got here." Our friend Ben said from where he was seated on the bed across the room from mine.

Ashton and Tamia were sharing a room, not just because they were married but because Ashton had the worst sleeping habits. I dreaded it when we sometimes had to share a room while we travelled to see other packs.

"So?"

"So, we just got off a 16-hour flight. I'm sleeping." I said, "Besides... something feels off." Ever since we had landed, I just had a weird feeling.

"Something always feels off to you..." Tamia scrunched her nose at me before jumping suddenly looking incredibly excited, "Oh! Maybe it's your mate this time!" I snorted at that.

"Ha. Mate. That's funny."

I wasn't very optimistic about the whole mate thing, I liked being on my own. Tamia and Ashton were joined at the hip pretty much their entire lives since they somehow always knew they were mated, and my dads could not get enough of each other either. It was nice seeing how close mates were but I loved my space, so at the same time it seemed like a nuisance to me that they seemed so co-dependent. Tamia was probably right, and I was pretty sure the slight pull towards a certain direction I felt since we stepped off the plane was supposed to lead me to my mate. Part of me was excited, of course... most of me uneasy and even slightly afraid. I wasn't sure whether I was ready for what Tamia and Ashton had.

"Come on, look outside. The weather is amazing –"

"I'm really tired." I cut Ashton off. It was winter where we came from, but currently outside the hotel the summer sun shone high making me want to leave even less.

We were there for a break, that's why Tamia was with us. It was shocking that the elder wolves of our pack actually granted us some time to have a real holiday, but they had. I figure it's because the ex-Alpha and Beta were still strong enough to hold things down without us there. Whatever the reasons were, I was happy. The past five years since Ashton and I took over had been so much work, I could remember the last time I slept more than three or four hours. The hotel room was going to be literal heaven to me if I could even just one more hour of sleep.

"Fine. You two can stay here and sleep. We're having fun and finding a nice restaurant –"

"Restaurant?" Ben and I sat up simultaneously.

"Well... we're not really that tired..." Ross looked at me, I looked back to my twin just as she smirked.

I wasn't much like my dad Jayden. He was... soft. He wasn't the strongest wolf and was incredibly soft-hearted and friendly, I was the opposite in almost every way. I loved him though. What we did have in common was our seriousness and love for food. My father Corey, who I usually called Paps, was rarely serious about anything despite his Beta status, then again, neither was Ashton's father Sean and he had been Alpha. Many of the pack elders still found them to be quite the weird pair of Alpha and Beta. Tamia knew mentioning food would make me unable to resist heading outside.