Chapter 17.

*****

I groaned rubbing my neck as I opened my eyes and blinked at the roof. I had been calling a few Alphas and right now I was certain I was right. Whoever was putting wolfsbane into the water was trying to drive us somewhere. Every Alpha or Beta I had spoken to said they were having the same problem. There was one city close by I knew had no werewolves in it. It was a pretty busy city so we all decided to call it joint territory so everyone could be there freely and without risk of starting any fights. I had asked Riley – the Beta of the pack closest to the area – to check it out. I was waiting for him to call back. It had been a couple of days and I was getting pressure from my pack to fix this, not focused pressure as everyone was also still concerned about their sick loved ones, but I knew everyone needed the water fixed.

Maybe they were driving us there to possibly ambush us... or maybe... they had the rogues that went missing and they needed a clean water supply that could be controlled to get them to talk. Perhaps both?

I sighed frustrated just as my office door click open. Assuming that it was my sister yet again checking up on me, I let out an exasperated sigh.

"Tamia, I said I would get lunch later. After Riley –" I stopped as I lifted my head to look at the door and felt my heart skip when the familiar scent hit me before I even saw him.

"So, this is it, huh? The infamous Galaxy..."

"Karabo... What... what are you doing here?" I whispered in surprise s I pushed myself out of my seat and walked up to him as he shut the door.

"Visiting. What? You're not happy about it?" he asked. I knew he was teasing because, as usual, he was unable to hide the happiness in his voice or the small smirk that played at the left corner of his lips. I gave a breath of disbelief.

"Of course I'm happy, I'm so happy." I hugged him. Despite the urgent distractions I'd had in the past few days, I still could not make myself ignore the longing, painful, worried feelings that came with him being so far away from me. It felt like I was constantly on the verge of full-blown panic. If I had not had so much more to worry about, I may have been unable to stop a panic attack brought on by actually thinking about him.

I felt his body vibrate lightly against me as he chuckled before his arms circled me and his face found its way into my neck.

"I missed you so much," he mumbled, his voice sounded strained and I felt that too. I shut my eyes feeling my heart race and finally let myself feel relieved and happy to be near him again.

As my wolf began to stir and my relief turned into a burning heat, I pulled back and nudged his face up so he looked at me before immediately kissing him. He responded quickly and with as much passion as I had given him, the heated kiss causing me to stumble back slightly as his hand clutched at my neck to keep from us breaking apart. I grabbed his waist and shoved him against my desk lightly without breaking our kiss before lifting his shirt off of him when we finally needed to breathe. I wasted no time moving my lips from his to his jaw. I missed that. His taste, the way my skin seemed to burn at his touch. It was a mistake not marking him before I left, maybe if I had we would have tried harder to stay together, maybe then it would have been impossible for us to just watch each other leave at the airport.

"What are you doing?" he mumbled as I sucked a spot on his neck. It was too clear, it needed my mark.

"I'm going to mark you." I whispered against his skin before I stopped to look at him, "I'm not losing you again." I added biting my lip, hoping he wouldn't object to it.

He smiled. "You never did, Eli. We're mates... All mates have trouble... And we're Alphas, we'll figure it out..." I smiled and he reached to take hold of my shirt and pull me close to him once more. I stared into his brown eyes as they burned back into mine suddenly seeming a lot more serious and intense. "Well, what are you waiting for?" he asked glancing at my lips. I chuckled as he kissed me again.